Desperation Move

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Well after only seeing 1 legal buck that I gave the first shot to my buddy (who decided not to pull the trigger) in 4 hard long days of hunting I decided to pull a different trigger and ordered a pair of Maven demo 15x binos.

I should get them Wednesday and if they are as useful as everyone says I may have a spotting scope going up for sale in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Thinking about going out for a couple of hours before work in the morning...but those gust of up to 47 mph have me second guessing that idea.

Here is a picture comparison of the 9x45 to the 15x56 of a palm tree 90 yards from the glass. Caveat is that I don’t have a digiscope so I was just holding my iPhone.

Excited to bust it out in the morning!E1207D72-684E-4F88-938B-DD7C068C24C8.jpeg0D50DCA4-9E43-4568-9EFE-0C3B091CFB9F.jpeg0D50DCA4-9E43-4568-9EFE-0C3B091CFB9F.jpeg

Last edited:
I picked up 16x Bushnell on sale not the best but will have to do for now.
Now about the view that looks like my old neighbor Hood. LOL.
I think we use to be neighbors.
Canary date palms.
PS the pics look super
Best
LB

I picked up 16x Bushnell on sale not the best but will have to do for now.
Now about the view that looks like my old neighbor Hood. LOL.
I think we use to be neighbors.
Canary date palms.
PS the pics look super
Best
LB

Maybe! I was looking at the palm tree with my 9x, then when I through up the 15x I saw a sparrow sitting in its nest without moving. Never saw it with my 9x.

Fingers crossed going to see that small forky i’ve been chasing in the am.

What type of glass it looks pretty clear

Maven B2 is the 9x45, Maven B4 is the 15x56.

Here are a couple doe that I was watching this morning about 750 yards. The 15x made them highlight right up! There has been a forky with these doe but he never made an appearance today. Watched them for 30 minutes or so.

Maven B2 is the 9x45, Maven B4 is the 15x56.

Here are a couple doe that I was watching this morning about 750 yards. The 15x made them highlight right up! There has been a forky with these doe but he never made an appearance today. Watched them for 30 minutes or so.

Forgot to attach the photo! 5C67170E-DF18-4D51-BAAF-12FBB08062B2.jpeg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Curious about these Mavens since you've mentioned them.. checking out their line and might try a demo pair.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have the B2 9x45 and B4 15x56 and they are amazingly clear. My dad has the C series and they are good but I not as good as the B series. I live in Poway and wouldn’t mind you checking stopping by to check them out sometime. Biggest downside to the B series is that they are a little heavier but on my chest harness it’s no big deal. Send me a PM.

I have the B2 9x45 and B4 15x56 and they are amazingly clear. My dad has the C series and they are good but I not as good as the B series. I live in Poway and wouldn’t mind you checking stopping by to check them out sometime. Biggest downside to the B series is that they are a little heavier but on my chest harness it’s no big deal. Send me a PM.
Sounds good. I'll hit u up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm a movement hunter in D16. Only glass I bring out is my rifle scope. I constantly scan...think I pick up more deer that way than looking thru a tube.

I will say I've never picked out a bedded deer like most of you in D16. But I can also say I rarely miss any deer moving within 3-400 yards.

Up north in bigger country (without the sagebrush and manzanita) where I can move easier, I carry a spotting scope and pick out lots of animals I'd have missed at 1000s of yards.

I'm a movement hunter in D16. Only glass I bring out is my rifle scope. I constantly scan...think I pick up more deer that way than looking thru a tube.

I will say I've never picked out a bedded deer like most of you in D16. But I can also say I rarely miss any deer moving within 3-400 yards.

Up north in bigger country (without the sagebrush and manzanita) where I can move easier, I carry a spotting scope and pick out lots of animals I'd have missed at 1000s of yards.

Interesting! I usually see a lot of does still hunting like that but have seen 2 bucks hunting that way this year. However most bucks I see are through binos over 500 yards.

I know you have a lot of success so the mental note is definitely taken.

Brad,

With all due respect....When you see movement, how do you look at it?....Just your eyes (400 yds)?....With your scope?....What if it's a another hunter (and Cali doesn't require orange)?.....Personally, I see no reason not to hunt deer or any big game animal without binos.

Brad,

With all due respect....When you see movement, how do you look at it?....Just your eyes (400 yds)?....With your scope?....What if it's a another hunter (and Cali doesn't require orange)?.....Personally, I see no reason not to hunt deer or any big game animal without binos.
X2!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu