DFW poll

Sep 26, 2012
Any of you get "randomly chosen" to participate in the DFG poll on deer management? Questions like "how satisfied are you with deer hunting in CA?", "would you support some zones being merged to create larger zones?", etc. I found some of the questions to be vague or stupid: "what do you consider to be a trophy deer?", without specifying which species is being referred to, or something along the lines of "do you support more doe hunts?" without specifying an area.

Maybe I've got a bad attitude, but I think it was a poorly-written survey.

heard they don't ask about our opinion much so lets fill them out and give them a ear full... got mine also

I got one yesterday and filled it out. I agree about the vagueness of certain questions. The question about merging zones is hard to answer because you would want to know what zones would be merging and what the tag quotas would be for those new zones.

DFG Survey

Did anybody else get an email from DFG to take a survey about our deer hunting conditions in california? They asked satisfied or dissatisfied type questions as well as letting me explain my dissatisfaction with certain aspects. One question they asked was, would I be for or opposed to merging our states zones so that there would be fewer zones and larger zones? Hopefully we see some changes soon.

I asked the same question in general discussion. Did the survey yesterday and hopefully they listen to us. I agree though that the zone merging question is kind of hard to answer. Say the merger x12 with X9a, will they merge the tag quota together or keep just the x12 quota for the new bigger zone.

You can bet that the purpose of this poll is to figure out a way to better manage hunters and to somehow get more money out of the hunt community I do not believe that the reason for this survey is to come up with a better way to satisfy and make the hunters more happy. just my opinion but I've been trained to think that way by the San Diego Wildlife law enforcement. I guess that's not fair to say. they're not all bad I really have only met one dishonest agent.

I personally will not be taking this survey unless I can somehow come up with a decent reason why this would be good for the hunting community. I challenge anybody in this state to change my mind.

I distrust the DFG after the MLPA I don't think I'll ever take any surveys or talk to biologists unless it's 100% neccasary like their inspecting fish or animals. They basically used the surveys and shut areas down that had the best fishing/lobster diving I don't want that to happen to deer hunting.

Invisible man said:
You can bet that the purpose of this poll is to figure out a way to better manage hunters and to somehow get more money out of the hunt community I do not believe that the reason for this survey is to come up with a better way to satisfy and make the hunters more happy. just my opinion but I've been trained to think that way by the San Diego Wildlife law enforcement. I guess that's not fair to say. they're not all bad I really have only met one dishonest agent.

I filled out the survey, but in the section where I was allowed to comment on my dissatisfaction with the management of the deer population, I mentioned the citation vs. education mindset of the wardens, as well as the corrupt (as in quail-poaching) wardens as some of my reasons for not being positive about it.

It's nice to be asked, but some of the questions they asked were worthless, so any responses they get will be meaningless.

Yes, we've been trained into being cynical. If the majority of the wardens approached their job the same way that Joseph Funk from BLM does, they would have my complete respect and support. But that's not the way it works here. Law enforcement today seems to be focused on citations and arrests as being evidence of a job well done. So the wardens aren't trying to educate, and the result (at least in my perspective) is that they create ill will, instead of garnering support. When I talk to people about BLM lands, and when I meet people on BLM lands, I pass along Ranger Funk's instructions about proper use of the resource, and encourage people to comply with his preferences- because he's trying to keep the resources open to our use. The reason I respect him is because when I once deserved a citation, he gave me a warning. And when others deserved a citation because they were breaking the regs (even after I warned them not to do so), he didn't run over there and cite them. That's resource management to me.

One thing in the survey that concerned me was the questions that had to do with the purchase of more lands for the purpose of habitat management. While I agree that deer need habitat for fawning, etc., I don't like the way those lands are managed in some cases. Predators run amok on some of those lands that are supposed to be set aside for fawning habitat, and yet those lands remain closed to predator hunting. So again, it seems like they're wanting more money to buy up more land, on which we won't be able to hunt.

Now, it didn't say that, but again, that's what the cynic in me reads between the lines. I don't like being the cynic, so if anybody has the scoop on what they're considering, I'd sure like to be corrected.

Re: DFG Survey

I got it. It took about 10 minutes to do. Asks your opinion on the quality, quantity, and availbility of hunting each specific zone you got a tag for. After answering the question, some of them ask for verbiage on why you chose what you chose. One of the questions was about expanding the zones into massive zones and having less overall zones. So your D16 could some day incorporate 4 or 5 zones sort of thing.

Oh sure I'm sure they are .eager to run right out and tell us what their ulterior agenda is.. I've seen this before like d16 said this is to acquire information for the future of closures they take your information and they use it against you and they denied the whole thing and all closures are based on false science.

I received it this morning and did complete it. I was for expanded doe hunting. I commented on the poor habitat and Mt lion management here in SoCal. As they take our money and spend it else where. I also commented on the cost of hunting here in CA. as we have some of highest fees in the country for such poor service.

I'd also like to know what ever came of the poll the DFG did a few years ago about doing away with the game preserves, I know the poll showed in favor of doing just that. But they never said anything after the poll was taken. My guess was because they didn't get the answer they wanted so they left it hanging.

I took the survey via phone a couple weeks ago. I do not understand why they would want to merge zones, our zones are already big enough. There are many zone that should be split up, making part of the zone as a limited tag draw unit.

Look at A zone, it's huge. And it really needs to be split into different units..

Another thing is, the season here is way too long. They need to shorten the season by a few weeks at least.

A cool thing is if they made the zones, 3 weeks archery, 1 week break, 2 weeks early rifle, 1 week break, 2 week late season either sex limited tags (maybe like 50 tags, depending on the size of the zone), 1 week break, 2 week muzzle loader. Then with a general tag for the zone you can hunt for 6 weeks total. Plenty time to harvest a deer. After a few years the deer populations would look a lot better in my opinion, and the quality of deer would be too.

The only way to prove a point to the DFG is to not buy licenses and tags, period.. However each year I buy them and can't imagine a year without hunting and fishing. Lol

TaftHunter said:
I took the survey via phone a couple weeks ago. I do not understand why they would want to merge zones, our zones are already big enough. There are many zone that should be split up, making part of the zone as a limited tag draw unit.

Look at A zone, it's huge. And it really needs to be split into different units..

Another thing is, the season here is way too long. They need to shorten the season by a few weeks at least.

A cool thing is if they made the zones, 3 weeks archery, 1 week break, 2 weeks early rifle, 1 week break, 2 week late season either sex limited tags (maybe like 50 tags, depending on the size of the zone), 1 week break, 2 week muzzle loader. Then with a general tag for the zone you can hunt for 6 weeks total. Plenty time to harvest a deer. After a few years the deer populations would look a lot better in my opinion, and the quality of deer would be too.

Many guys have work and families and only hunt on the weekends. I would not want them shorter. I like to hunt a lot, take my time. With a short season you could get a heat wave or get rained out and your season is over. Bigger zones would mean more options to hunt with your one tag. Like the AO tag. But only if they combined the amount of tags.

Combining some zones would not be good. It could make some zones much harder to draw.

BuckHunter said:
TaftHunter said:

Many guys have work and families and only hunt on the weekends. I would not want them shorter. I like to hunt a lot, take my time. With a short season you could get a heat wave or get rained out and your season is over. Bigger zones would mean more options to hunt with your one tag. Like the AO tag. But only if they combined the amount of tags.

Combining some zones would not be good. It could make some zones much harder to draw.

I understand that. Nobody would like it at first, but 10 years later the deer herds would be a lot healthier.

In the areas I hunt, people get in groups and just destroy the deer, 8 weekends in a row, killing every legal deer they see. This means the deer do not have a chance to mature. If people only had 2 weeks, then there would be a lot more deer the next year, then the success rate, and the overall quality, would continue to increase as the years progress. It's called management, California's management is terrible, and that is why we have some of the lowest success rates in the country.

6 weeks is plenty of time to harvest a deer, if you don't, then so be it. Those deer you didn't kill will be there next year.

And just cause the season is shortened doesn't mean that you can't scout for weeks previous to season opener.

Just my opinion...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu