Dive partner needed.. Getting back into the sport!

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Anyone from SCH dive also? I'm looking to get back into diving but need a partner to go with and help me get up to speed. I moved back to SD from Hawaii where I used to dive for reef fish mostly, no blue water diving or trophy hunting. It's been a few years since then though. I've got an Aimrite pipe gun and a 3 prong spear but need a bit more gear (weight belt etc.) before I can head out. Let me know if anyone's up for a water hunt, but maybe better after deer season. No night diving, daytime shore dives only for now.

No night diving?

That's all I do.........their are lots of local dive websites plus BD to find a partner it may also help to know where you live.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Cool.. Thanks guys. I might be up for a night dive in the near future. My last night dive included a curious 10' tiger shark and a dropped light, so I've gotta warm up to the idea again.

I dont blame you there! That goes under the category of "things that go bump in the night"!

Out here no tigers.......just giant see bass the size of cars a curious see lion or two and the occasional nurse or lemon shark. I just watch the smaller fish when they leave something big is on its way! The great whites like surfers and kayakers not too many divers on the menu down here.

San Diego Freedivers is a local club I've been apart of for a few years. Plenty of guys who are die hard maniacs and plenty of amateurs. http://www.sandiegofreedivers.com/

I am pretty obssessed with it myself. The time is right now. swell and tides are mellow made for some great viz yesterday and today. This place is nothing like HI but you well learn the fish habits in no time. Im usually in the water 2-3 times a week.

Thx infidel.. I haven't had a chance to get the rest of my gear together yet after the holiday bills and hunting season. Hopefully I'll save up soon so I can restart my underwater hunting obsession...

SurfNHuntSD said:
Thx infidel.. I haven't had a chance to get the rest of my gear together yet after the holiday bills and hunting season. Hopefully I'll save up soon so I can restart my underwater hunting obsession...

Let me know if your looking for something in particular. I know of quite a few divers who have some good gear they are looking to resell. Guns (starters-top shelf), wetsuits, fins, lights ect...

From wat ive heard you jinx yourself by joining the san diego freedivers if you want to get big fish my dad was in it for one year and barely speared any fish. the next year he wasnt a part of it he speared a bigger white seabass and a bigger yellow tail than anyone in the club. Last year he also speared a bigger yellowtail than anyone in the club did by 12 lbs. thats my .02 the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
From wat ive heard you jinx yourself by joining the san diego freedivers if you want to get big fish my dad was in it for one year and barely speared any fish. the next year he wasnt a part of it he speared a bigger white seabass and a bigger yellow tail than anyone in the club. Last year he also speared a bigger yellowtail than anyone in the club did by 12 lbs. thats my .02 the

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I haven't heard that one yet! Superstitious behaviors and habits can get pretty thick with fisherman and hunters alike. Although I did shoot my largest fish the year I forgot to pay my dues. But I was in a secret dive club that isn't too well appreciated called RBDC.

I'm a member mainly because of its efforts in the courts and saving out coastal waters from closures such as what happened in Laguna a few years ago. It starts with the children's pool and if these activists with nothing better to do win that low hanging fruit then the rest of our coast is in jeapordy. I don't want to imagine anymore closures on the water or land!

I'm in Ventura county and getting back into diving, ex dive master for sport chalet and have about 800 logged dives.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu