do it yourselfer

Steve,

My grandpa used to do his own back in the old days......I know it involved boiling and a big tube......I'm sure the internet has plenty of info about how to do it.......Here's one...... :)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FTan-a-Hide&ei=guvcU_qGF4z4oASF0ICIAQ&usg=AFQjCNHbZf-BtHhqBWGF6bvRJSeI8ePm-g&sig2=wZS6PYNzjmXfzpskvm9B5A&bvm=bv.72197243,d.cGU

My sister in Canada has prepared hides and furs for years using (mostly) old native techniques. She's done otter, beaver, made a 'coon skin cap for my son (which he subsequently managed to lose), and prepared lots of deer and elk hides to keep the kids busy when we'd come to visit. I don't think she has done that much tanning. Mostly it is a lot of work scraping and stretching the skin, and then working it by hand with an alternative softener to avoid exposure to brain tissue. If you don't want to remove the fur, be really careful about getting the skin wet and don't boil it unless you want the fur to come off in handfuls. I'll check with her and get back to you. I was talking to Randomshot about this at the banquet; good topic.

These skins are all on a standard ottoman for scale. Enjoy.
Mink:
y5ejuput.jpg
Raccoon:
ytyha5er.jpg
Back side of 'coon skin (not tanned):
zebybequ.jpg
Beaver:
ygy9uhan.jpg
Otter:
ezunegy6.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk

Steve, I refer you to the parallel thread on upgrading only as needed, and prioritizing. Hunting gear first, furniture second.
;D

Hey Don - did you pick the colors in the house?

Just askin'... ;D

Hahaha. Happy wife, happy life, you know. She can pick whatever color she wants.
:)

Sent via Tapatalk

steveo007 said:
you guys are funny I have lots of fun just reading your comments ,oh yeah nice skins by the way Bonejour! ;D
;D will report back when I hear from my sister. I think it's pretty simple but takes time, patience and lots of elbow grease... like most things worth doing.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu