Does, Does Everywhere

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
Well I got out three times in the last week and could have shot a doe every time m out. No A22 tag for me this year and I really want a buck with my bow anyways. It is fun just having a tag in the pocket and getting close to deer.
I can say I am seeing a lot of deer every time I get out in the hills even throughout the summer. When that rut turns on there will be a lot of bucks being taken this year. I love watching deer, I had this one at 30 yards broadside from a ground blind for about 15 minutes. She thought if she stood real still I would see her lol.
Super swirly winds up on the mountain this weekend makes for frustrating hunting.

679278DB-E9A8-4577-8CE8-F3A6A1DB0CF6.jpeg

Same issue we had going on. Wind changing direction constantly.
Great getting out there, and on the deer.
I am stuck on the damn couch again. Sore foot. Same as last year.
But great to see you are on them.
I will have stick with ambush hunting this year.
Best
Longbow

The rut will start around mid October but should really be firing by rifle season. You will know when you see a buck in the middle of the day with his nose up a does stuff.

I have pictures from last week of a buck mid day with his nose up a does ass. Also have trail cam pictures of young bucks sparring. Still seeing large bachelor groups as well.I feel like the rut starts different times for different areas in d16 usually going good during rifle season.

Yes does everywhere on laguna i saw 1 spike 30 yds and when I back to car I find a fork and doe bedding at 50 yds on the brush , in the evening I have smaller fork , a doe and fawn at 62 yds from treestand but didnt take the shoot , I didnt see big bucks in the last 10 days no pics in trailcams too just does. We back on mid week .

Same for me so far. Lots of does but tough to find decent bucks. I have found that the this time of the year when you find a decent buck there’s probably others with them. They’re typically in bachelor groups this time of the year. It seems like the younger spikes and forkies will be with the does and the older bucks in bachelor groups. Also have found that the young bucks will typically start chasing a little earlier than the big boys. The rut seems to range from late September in the higher elevations to late November in the lower elevations. Last year I had a lot of cams out and found that different areas had rutting activity during totally different times. Best pics last year of bucks chasing was November 12-17. Good luck. Stay at it!

Josh

Last edited:
One forky and saw four does on Sunday. Tried to cut off the forky but he gave me the slip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right on Msailor. It will be there.
Get it next time.
Was it going down a hill?
Or sighted it on a ridge.
That's happened to me before.
Got a view of a buck but couldn't get on it because of the terrain.
Needed to close the distance within 40 yards. Only it gave me the slip.
It must of caught my scent.
Dam wind would change direction and swirl. I have been studying the wind currents while on the couch.
During the morning the currents go up a hill. And evening goes down hill. Because of the temperature.
And atmosphere drafts.
Good luck next time and good fortune.
Longbow
P.S. added an edit under standing thermals.
http://wiredtohunt.com/2011/03/03/u...ccess-thermals-and-other-wind-considerations/

Last edited:
Right on Msailor. It will be there.
Get it next time.
Was it going down a hill?
Or sighted it on a ridge.
That's happened to me before.
Got a view of a buck but couldn't get on it because of the terrain.
Needed to close the distance within 40 yards. Only it gave me the slip.
It must of caught my scent.
Dam wind would change direction and swirl. I have been studying the wind currents while on the couch.
During the morning the currents go up a hill. And evening goes down hill. Because of the temperature.
And atmosphere drafts.
Good luck next time and good fortune.
Longbow
P.S. added an edit under standing thermals.
http://wiredtohunt.com/2011/03/03/u...ccess-thermals-and-other-wind-considerations/

Thanks longbow as I will need the luck. Spotted him at 80 yards about 0700 he was heading up hill so I went up hill and tried to close the distance very slowly but he either caught my scent or heard me. Wind like you said was going up hill as I have been studying too because I am a whitetail hunter but have been chasing these Socal mulies for four years. My partner got a good look at him as he went a little further up and then he went to the next valley. He did not seem spooked at least. hope to go back in there on Sunday. Did about 7 miles it was a good hunt. Hope you are off the couch soon!

Best
Matt

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Thanks longbow as I will need the luck. Spotted him at 80 yards about 0700 he was heading up hill so I went up hill and tried to close the distance very slowly but he either caught my scent or heard me. Wind like you said was going up hill as I have been studying too because I am a whitetail hunter but have been chasing these Socal mulies for four years. My partner got a good look at him as he went a little further up and then he went to the next valley. He did not seem spooked at least. hope to go back in there on Sunday. Did about 7 miles it was a good hunt. Hope you are off the couch soon!

Best
Matt

Hi Matt
Yes that was a tough stalk. You will get him next time.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu