Do's and Don'ts of the offseason

Ocurtis

Dec 28, 2016
San Diego
Hey All, thought I should share some do's and don'ts of the off season
1. Do take your 4x4 and go run around the hills with the excuse of "scouting."
2. If you go down a hill, make sure one of the following is true:
a. the road you are on is a through road.
b. you can go back up the hill you are going down.
if you fail to do 2a and 2b, pray to the good Lord that he will help you out of the mess you create!
3. Do not shoot someone else's hand loads!
a. If you ignore #3, have Duncan's Gunworks on speed dial so that he can fix the gun you break!
4. Tell your wife you need a Dad-Daughter date, throw her in a pack and go hike up Bernardo Mountain

As you can all guess, I have done all of these things. Luckily Steve gave be Duncan's information, and he was able to replace my broken Remington 700 extractor in about 5 minutes.

Glad to have found this underground Southern California Hunting Community. For the past 10 years, I thought there were only liberal's and hippies down here! I couldn't figure I fit either so thought I was a misfit! haha

Attachments

• 2017-02-18 14.14.06.jpg
    2017-02-18 14.14.06.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • 2017-02-18 15.24.31.jpg
    2017-02-18 15.24.31.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 2017-02-18 15.34.31.jpg
    2017-02-18 15.34.31.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5164.JPG
    IMG_5164.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5165.JPG
    IMG_5165.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 47
My 16 yr old daughter is to big to put in a backpack, I just make her carry one now.;) It saves my back that way.
I reload so I only shoot my own. But I've made some hot loads before. They hurt.
The 4wheeling is a different story. I've been down some hills thinking "crap how the hell am I going to get out". But if there's a way in then there's a way out. Just remember to stay calm and think.

Reactions: Ocurtis
My 16 yr old daughter is to big to put in a backpack, I just make her carry one now.;) It saves my back that way.
I reload so I only shoot my own. But I've made some hot loads before. They hurt.
The 4wheeling is a different story. I've been down some hills thinking "crap how the hell am I going to get out". But if there's a way in then there's a way out. Just remember to stay calm and think.

Haha, oh I made it out! I ended up lowering the air pressure and hitting the hill at 5000 RPM's in 4 low, bounced my way to the top! I was pretty proud of myself and my 4runner at that point!

Reactions: Nicholas909
Haha, oh I made it out! I ended up lowering the air pressure and hitting the hill at 5000 RPM's in 4 low, bounced my way to the top! I was pretty proud of myself and my 4runner at that point!

That would explain your daughter's quizzical expression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummmm. I've got to step in here as an avid off-roader of over 20 years as well as teaching many people and clubs.

This is ALWAYS wrong. Never go any place like this alone. All terrain tires. Do you have lockers? Front? Rear? No winch? Just not safe.

Flame away at reason.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
3. Do not shoot someone else's hand loads!

I would seriously question your relation to that someone. I would never give someone my hand loads because I know it is only safe for my gun. Unless that someone specifically states that he loaded it to SAAMI specs (which clearly it wasn't ), I would question why they gave it to you? That someone just put you in danger.

I would seriously question your relation to that someone. I would never give someone my hand loads because I know it is only safe for my gun. Unless that someone specifically states that he loaded it to SAAMI specs (which clearly it wasn't ), I would question why they gave it to you? That someone just put you in danger.

Naw, i put myself in danger. I have these handloads for years, not sure who gave them to me. I made the poor decision to try shooting them.

Oh well... all is well that ends well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummmm. I've got to step in here as an avid off-roader of over 20 years as well as teaching many people and clubs.

This is ALWAYS wrong. Never go any place like this alone. All terrain tires. Do you have lockers? Front? Rear? No winch? Just not safe.

Flame away at reason.
being an avid off roader my self I started in my 20's. now that said I made all the mistakes. and I have been lucky. I ended up in some dangerous situations. because I was naive. but some how I manage to get my self out every situation because I did not know any better.

all situations require different solutions. there is no one cookie cutter procedure for every situation.
but I do totally agree. I was young and never thought of consequences.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu