Drinking the Creed Koolaid

I’ve shot a 7mm-08 for a long time. I see no need for the 6.5 Creedmoor. As a hunting cartridge the 08 has more energy all along the curve than the 6.5. I also hate fads

I’ve shot a 7mm-08 for a long time. I see no need for the 6.5 Creedmoor. As a hunting cartridge the 08 has more energy all along the curve than the 6.5. I also hate fads

Opening a can of worms Frank...

I thing both cartridges are amazing but I am not sure I agree with you. I have a custom Dan Dwyer 7-08. It is an fantastic rifle.

Opening a can of worms Frank...

I thing both cartridges are amazing but I am not sure I agree with you. I have a custom Dan Dwyer 7-08. It is an fantastic rifle.
Let me change my wording to “under 400 yards” where 99% of the game is taken...it’s also depends on the bullet, bc etc. The BC May give the advantage past that but it’s academic to me. 140 grain 7mm08 to a 140 grain manbun is about 100 pounds more energy at 400 yards for the the 7mm08

Last edited:
Reactions: NBK

If you don't see a need for it, great, don't shoot one. Problem solved.

.284 140 grain Berger VLD with a MV of 2820 at 400yds
2157 velocity
1446 energy
With a 10 mph wind it has 2.13 MOA of deflection

.264 140 grain Berger VLD with a MV of 2820 at 400yds
2261 velocity
1589 energy
With a 10 mph wind it has 1.67 MOA of deflection

The 7mm Rem Mag was a fad once too...

not sure that 1.84" of drift is going to make or break you on that shot :)

the 7mag is still pretty popular. i hear some kid in taft shoots one and beats up on a pile of manbuns at his steel shoot.

the BC advantage between a 140gr 6.5 and 140gr 7 is about .600 for the 6.5 and .500 for the 7. in that weight range the 7 is not advantageous. Now you swap a 180gr 7mm bullet is the field gets switched. thats really where the 7 comes alive. with a bc near .700

repeated from another post
The 6.5 creedmore is a good round. Its got good accuracy. good velocity , good recoil, and good components available. Its not the best at anything. The flaw lays with the fact that its a all around cartridge. ZERO wrong with that but its true.

ahh pop a can o worms :) and sit back

Let me change my wording to “under 400 yards” where 99% of the game is taken...it’s also depends on the bullet, bc etc. The BC May give the advantage past that but it’s academic to me. 140 grain 7mm08 to a 140 grain manbun is about 100 pounds more energy at 400 yards for the the 7mm08

At that distance the animal isn't going to know the difference...

not sure that 1.84" of drift is going to make or break you on that shot :)
I agree and you're right for the most part. If available I almost always try use everything in my power to help eliminate environmental factors, it's for the best. At 700yds its almost 1MOA difference. Conditions allowing that's within range and a substantial enough difference for me.

the 7mag is still pretty popular. i hear some kid in taft shoots one and beats up on a pile of manbuns at his steel shoot.
Agreed, I wasn't knockin on the 7 Rem Mag. It's why I have a 7mm Rem Mag as my main hunting rifle. I do own 6.5 Creedmoors as well.

the BC advantage between a 140gr 6.5 and 140gr 7 is about .600 for the 6.5 and .500 for the 7. in that weight range the 7 is not advantageous. Now you swap a 180gr 7mm bullet is the field gets switched. thats really where the 7 comes alive. with a bc near .700
Understood. This is why I shoot the 162 ELD-X in my 7mm. I'd be using the 180 ELD-M if my rifle would stabilize it. Next barrel will for sure.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu