Drive about SD East County....6-4-23

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
I'm baby sitting 4 labs...So, I didn't get a very early start...Really liked what I saw, once I got in the east county...Started off at a friends ranch in Mesa Grande shooting ground squirrels...Pretty warm and the mustard is really high...Only ones I got shots at were on rocks or in the corrals...The CZ .17 is damn deadly...:skull:

Every pond of any size still has water, as do the creeks...Great for our ground nesting birds (quail, turkeys), and deer...Saw a number of hens that looked like they had poults following them...Even saw 3 longbeards still strutting for a single hen...:heart:

Finally ended up at the "Best 40"...Right off the bat there was a hen with what appeared to be 8- or 9 poults...The grass is so tall, it's really hard to tell...Then I started checking cameras...There were at least 3 different bucks and a few does...Also, El Gato showed up...You got deer, you got cats...:mad:

The squirrels are thick on this place too...So, I spent a lot of time waiting for shots...The shots that were in the 50-100 yd range were right on, but shots that were really close (15-25)...I couldn't hit my ass...WITW!

While waiting for the those shots, I had more hens come in...A pair have already teamed up...They had at least 15 poults...Then another single hen came in and she at at least 9...While driving out, I saw 2 more hens with a bunch of poults...It's still early and they're still small, but this is the kind of production we've been waiting for...:blush:

IMG_0807 - Copy (2).JPGIMG_0808 - Copy (2).JPGIMG_0124 - Copy (2).JPGIMG_0122.JPGIMG_0814 - Copy.JPGIMG_0821 - Copy.JPGIMG_0833 - Copy.JPGIMG_0829 - Copy.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0804.jpg

I'm baby sitting 4 labs...So, I didn't get a very early start...Really liked what I saw, once I got in the east county...Started off at a friends ranch in Mesa Grande shooting ground squirrels...Pretty warm and the mustard is really high...Only ones I got shots at were on rocks or in the corrals...The CZ .17 is damn deadly...:skull:

Every pond of any size still has water, as do the creeks...Great for our ground nesting birds (quail, turkeys), and deer...Saw a number of hens that looked like they had poults following them...Even saw 3 longbeards still strutting for a single hen...:heart:

Finally ended up at the "Best 40"...Right off the bat there was a hen with what appeared to be 8- or 9 poults...The grass is so tall, it's really hard to tell...Then I started checking cameras...There were at least 3 different bucks and a few does...Also, El Gato showed up...You got deer, you got cats...:mad:

The squirrels are thick on this place too...So, I spent a lot of time waiting for shots...The shots that were in the 50-100 yd range were right on, but shots that were really close (15-25)...I couldn't hit my ass...WITW!

While waiting for the those shots, I had more hens come in...A pair have already teamed up...They had at least 15 poults...Then another single hen came in and she at at least 9...While driving out, I saw 2 more hens with a bunch of poults...It's still early and they're still small, but this is the kind of production we've been waiting for...:blush:

View attachment 58693View attachment 58694View attachment 58695View attachment 58696View attachment 58697View attachment 58698View attachment 58699View attachment 58700View attachment 58701View attachment 58702

View attachment 58693View attachment 58694View attachment 58695View attachment 58696View attachment 58697View attachment 58698View attachment 58699View attachment 58700View attachment 58701View attachment 58702
Thanks for the update. I trained the dog on BLM land a few weeks ago and saw and much the same. Water everywhere still and quail everywhere making their single note call.

Did you hear many quail of the curved or straight top variety?!

Thanks for the update. I trained the dog on BLM land a few weeks ago and saw and much the same. Water everywhere still and quail everywhere making their single note call.

Did you hear many quail of the curved or straight top variety?!

I didn't hear or see any quail...The places I went don't have many any way....Did see some babies a couple of weeks ago in the desert (gambel's)...... :blush:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu