Drone scouting

DEFINATELY SHOOT IT DOWN !!!!! that's the last thing we need is more electronic gadgets out in the field. Get your feet dirty & put in the hours & miles to find your game.

drones get people fired up! i like it : ) i am a duck hunter btw working hard is not first on my list of things i do.

M_juttner are you building a fpv quad?

mine is a 900mm hex, pixhawk flight control, 15x5.5 props 8k mah battery go pro on a 3d gimbal and a flight camera. 1.3ghz video link and a UHF RC long range system. waiting on the stupid video tx to ship. to complete the fpv stuff. its mostly sorted out flight wise now.

lets go fly sometime.

Forum Janitor said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

A flying bomb with a machine gun; sounds safe. I was afraid he was going to accidentally hit trigger button while the thing rocked in an air current. But my favorite part is when the gasoline fireball almost wrecks the whole kit and caboodle.

When did hunters become so damn lazy that walking became such a hassel? Isn't part of hunting the ability to get away from electronics and just enjoy the beauty of nature? I have trail cameras that I use seldom but those are there for days I can't go out and scout. If I am out scouting I am sure as hell not going to bring a drone and fly it around. This idea is just another tool used to make humans lazy creatures. On the other hand, the fat ass flying the drone is most likely not going to travel more than a quarter mile from the road since they are out of shape. Might work out for the hunters that truly put in the work.

I don't use trail cams anymore. if I can't tell what's been there by tracks and noticing what's changed I should give up.....animal wins.....but I would like to put one on a carcass to see what comes for it after I'm gone. As for Drones I'd love one in Baja it would be great to see what's ahead in the ditch or the other three fields a head & freak out the locals but for big game I like the challenge of no/low tech.......except for my bow:)

I think I'm against it in any month deer season is open as you might interfere with another's hunt. Would be cool to get another perspective on the landscape in the spring, but hiking is about half of the enjoyment for me and I don't I could ever see myself using one for this purpose. But that being said I have had some cliffs I'd love to look over better and see if there worth dropping in!

Thanks for the cool video!

Being another drone owner, I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. First, they are fun, but, as a scouting tool, I think you would be wasting your time. You would, however, be having fun while you are doing it. The big problem is the "Line of sight" rule. IMHO, you can do a better job of scouting using Google Earth and topo maps, as some before me have suggested. I am thinking of using mine as a training aid in making videos for predator hunting. That would be a close-in application with the ability to get an elevated perspective of a specific area. That's my take on it, at least for now.

Drones are awesome. never used them for scouting furry animals but I do have some experience with them. I imagine they will be outlawed for the use of scouting soon in most states. I have seen some good B roll on hunting shows recently with them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu