Duck and geese experts please

paulfishes

Dec 12, 2012
1. Decoys. Will mallard decoys draw in all ducks? Do you need multiple ducks to attract different types of ducks? Would mallards land on water with pintails, or vis-a-versa? How life like does the detail have to be? How many decoys: 12, 24, a million?

2. Calls. Basic question as stated above. Will different ducks come into not their own call? What is a reasonable number of calls for a day of hunting? Do you just bring a million and have one for each occasion? Do you even HAVE to call? Will sitting still and silent bring in the same amount of birds for an ambush?

3. Will ducks and geese fly or land together in the same spot? Is it normal to get ducks and geese in the same outing?

4. Once you drop birds, how long do you let them sit so you don't ruin other peoples hunt?

5. What is a acceptable time to leave a blind so you don't disturb ducks/geese or other hunters?

6. Waders. I assume you get what you pay for. With that in mind, which are the top 2 and which 2 should someone avoid.

Thanks in advance.

paulfishes said:
1. Decoys. Will mallard decoys draw in all ducks? Do you need multiple ducks to attract different types of ducks? Would mallards land on water with pintails, or vis-a-versa? How life like does the detail have to be? How many decoys: 12, 24, a million?

2. Calls. Basic question as stated above. Will different ducks come into not their own call? What is a reasonable number of calls for a day of hunting? Do you just bring a million and have one for each occasion? Do you even HAVE to call? Will sitting still and silent bring in the same amount of birds for an ambush?

3. Will ducks and geese fly or land together in the same spot? Is it normal to get ducks and geese in the same outing?

4. Once you drop birds, how long do you let them sit so you don't ruin other peoples hunt?

5. What is a acceptable time to leave a blind so you don't disturb ducks/geese or other hunters?

6. Waders. I assume you get what you pay for. With that in mind, which are the top 2 and which 2 should someone avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Paul,

Welcome to SCH......Per your questions:

1).....Yep.....But many ducks prefer their own kind more. So why not be species specific, if you can afford it or add a few of each species to your spread.....Mallards will land with pintail & visa versa.....The more life like the better, if you're going small (4 doz or less).....The bigger you go, the less life-like uou have to be.....They're not really looking at any one duck, just the numbers on the water.....The bigger the water, the bigger the spread. For obvious reasons.....More visible.

2).....Most hen ducks quack....So a hen mallard call will work for most....Many of our local species whistle (drakes)....I never hunt without my pintail/widgeon/teal whistle call.....There's no set number of calls or calling in a day.....Experience tells you when to call & not call....I carry 2 basic calls most all the time....Double reed (DR-85) & a whistle.....Killed a lot of ducks not calling (& you're certainly better off, if you can't call very well).....With a good decoy spread & good blind, you'll kill birds.

3).....Snows & widgeon are often together. Honkers & mallards are as well. It really depends much on what they're feeding in or on....I've had many combo hunts, especially in Canada.

4).....In most cases, if you don't have a dog, retrieve them immediately. Especially, if they're only wounded.....Can't worry about a guy 200 yds away.....Also, if that heads up, and the water is more than a few inches deep, they get shot again.

5).....Leave the blind as you need to.....Again, most blinds in places like Wister & San J are a fair distance away.....This doesn't mean, go walking around just for the hell of it.

6).....Well IMO, breathable waders are #1 & neoprene are #2.....As far as brands, I use Cabela's brand breathable's....My neoprene are BPS....For cold cold water or standing in water (flooded timber), I use the neoprene.....For everything else, I use breathable's.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks, Steve.
I watched a youtube video and went on DU and learned how to set up a spread. I'm an expert now!
Got the time, got spots, now I get to trick my wife into allowing me to add a few dozen decoys and 2k worth of waterfowl gear in the garage. Yet another reason to add another gun to the safe.
The goal is to get at least one duck or goose.

Paul,

Get those ressies in......You'll have plenty of friends & you WILL kill ducks......lol

ps......I probably have a bunch of stuff you can have.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu