Ducks and deer opener same day?

Got a dilemma, not really a dilemma since I'll always pick duck opener over deer opener but this is the first one in awhile I remember that they open on the same day. Who's hunting what? I'll be hunting the quacks, whether on the refuge or freelancing on the sea. Good hunting all

Jason,

I'll be getting back from Montana on Thursday (10-21)....Then I'll decide after I see if I got drawn, or someone invites me to hunt the duck opener with them.....If not, then we'll (Jacob & I) be hunting the "16"....In 40 years of putting in for opening day, I've never been drawn......... :D

My old teammate Cal at SC on the opener at Wister....1975....14 pintail from the C area.

.047.JPG

Jason,

I'll be getting back from Montana on Thursday (10-21)....Then I'll decide after I see if I got drawn, or someone invites me to hunt the duck opener with them.....If not, then we'll (Jacob & I) be hunting the "16"....In 40 years of putting in for opening day, I've never been drawn......... :D

My old teammate Cal at SC on the opener at Wister....1975....14 pintail from the C area.

.View attachment 50989
Rad pix as always Steve. Cal is missed..

Rad pix as always Steve. Cal is missed..

Yep Jason.....It was tough losing a hunting & fishing partner since 1968.....Remember our 1st hunt together like it was yesterday.....Chukar hunted Scodie Mt. and we drove his '66 Mustang to the bottom of the mountain.....Brutal road too..... :joy:

1977 Oceanside honker hunt, where Wal-Mart sits today.

.O'Side honkers 1978.jpg

Yep Jason.....It was tough losing a hunting & fishing partner since 1968.....Remember our 1st hunt together like it was yesterday.....Chukar hunted Scodie Mt. and we drove his '66 Mustang to the bottom of the mountain.....Brutal road too..... :joy:

1977 Oceanside honker hunt, where Wal-Mart sits today.

.View attachment 50995
Yea he will be missed, he always had good things to say and treated everyone like you were his best friend. Good man for sure....

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Opening day was the same for both last year. I had set up in my hidey hole about an hour before shooting light about 200 yards or so from a pond. Somewhere around dawn, I heard a shot, followed by 3 or 4 more shots. I though to myself, "Man, that dude is a terrible shot if it takes four bullets to get a deer." A short time later, I heard another volley of shots and could not figure out what was going on, but knew that if there had been any deer in the area they were long gone.

On my way out, I stopped by the pond to check for tracks. Turns out there was a duck hunter on the pond. At least he scored on opening day.

I only knew Cal for a relatively short time, but one of the best I have ever known.
He always invited me to ride in his truck on the QF work days.
Sad that I never got to hunt with him.

J, how is this even a question? Hunt deer during deer season, especially since you know where that monster buck beds ;)
See you at NWTF. We'll talk.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu