Ducks on seasonal pond?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I wanted to ask if it is ok to shoot ducks on a seasonal pond in the Cleveland National Forest?
I was out scouting Band Tail Pigeons and noticed 5 malards on a small pond. When I go back to the mountain this weekend if the ducks are still there is it ok to shoot them (or is duck hunting only allowed in designated areas).
Note: I have my waterfowl license with CA and Federal stamp. Also, I would be using steel shot in my 12 gauge (not for the band tails, but I would for the waterfowl).

Dan

Dan,

Perfectly legal......In fact, there's an area that floods when we have good rains and the duck hunting can be really good.

Agreed, but I would not have any lead loads on my person at the time you are hitting the ducks. Never know if Mr. Green jeans is watching. Now go smack some green!

If your in an area that has both ducks & band-tails. Why not just shoot steel duck loads......Trust me......Band-tails are every bit as hard to knock down as a duck.......... ;)

sluester said:
Why delete this thread?

Sounds like 2 people know about this seasonal pond and Nippleopolis is trying to keep it that way

8SteelTown said:
sluester said:
Why delete this thread?

Sounds like 2 people know about this seasonal pond and Nippleopolis is trying to keep it that way
Nope, I don't know where it is, but it is public land next to a huge metropolitan area. He isn't the only one who knows an area floods in a good rain.

Talk crap all you want. I am a millenial. Pretty much raised on the internet. With Google Earth people my age can find hunting spots in minutes.

Why allow people not in the "know" to now become competition???

Zero reason to remove this thread

No one's spot was let out of the bag and it's some good info for new hunters not to have lead shot on them if they take a duck.

He saw 5 ducks let's not over play this lol

I just hit the maps and found lots of ponds going in the morning thanks for the idea

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu