East Cape yellowfin

dtbushpilot

Apr 17, 2011
Took the "Outcast" out yesterday in search of a quality tuna, there have been lots available lately in the "football" size but I was hoping for something bigger. We found a couple of small porpoise schools but no tuna home. We kept looking and noticed a tuna seiner off in the distance so we went over for a look. They were completing a netting operation at the time but we didn't see any activity near the boat. My captain talked to the skipper of the tuna boat and he indicated the general direction that the porpoise had gone. After a while the helicopter working with the seiner flew past and started circling a few miles ahead to our port. We and a couple of local cruisers headed over there and found the fish. We had an immediate double hook up on cedar plugs but it turned out to be skipjack, got back in for another double but this time it was tuna. Rogelio lost his so he dropped a chunk of squid to soak while I boated mine.

The bait was nailed about the time I boated the tuna (10lbs or so), as soon as I tried to pull the rod out of the rod holder I knew it was a quality fish.

Anybody want to come over for dinner? I'll have plenty. ;)

Photo_D95808DA-E5A0-AD36-FF91-DD61A9A86AD74.jpg

Thanks millbro and lungpopper, the water was unusually flat, a great day on the water for sure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu