Easy blind ideas

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
I'm looking for ideas in setting up an easy blind for the upcoming season. My initial thought is to plant corner stakes, run plastic netting, and then brush it up. But wondering if there's any other ideas I should look into. Needs to be able to transport by canoe, so I'm trying to avoid pallets, lumber and power tools. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hi Jason
I am not a hard core duck Hunter.
However just to give the best I can.
I suggest to use aluminum stakes.
Small square tubing. Semi permanent attach sturdy material that does not flap from the wind to much. Maybe 3D style material that can be rolled up. That can be unrolled then staked.
Just brain storming. May not be the solution. But a suggestion
Best
Longbow
P.S. thinking light weight solution.
This could double for deer blind.

Thanks Lee, yeah that's the general idea I'm thinking, which I've done before for turkey hunting. Applying an upland solution to waterfowl I guess.

My SOP is to throw dekes into the water and then sit in the tules, which has worked out ok so far. But with the water levels dropping, the shoreline is extending out and the tules are further back. So I find myself wanting a semi-permanent blind on the beach these days.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Also maybe also thinking a lite see through netting over the top.
With easy access to shoot.
Probably easier said than done.
But trial and error before the hunt.
Wish you good luck and fortune on you hunt.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Keep it simple. 3-4 stakes for support. Zip tie a camo-dyed burlap or your camo netting of choice to it. Set it up against some natural cover and then brush it up with the same stuff to hide it better. Done! 10 minute setup or less and 5 minute take down. You can configure it into whichever shape you want and you can also add more support stakes to it if you want to use more brush so it doesnt weigh down the netting. I’ve put this in the middle of a pond before and brushed it up heavy to look like a small tule plot and just kept movement to a minimum. By the time the ducks see you, they should be feet up in the pond. 9DDAB7BA-7290-4C40-9E18-8EA60A452359.jpegF6840C4D-69A2-4CD9-850C-46C2947BAD10.jpeg

Last edited:
Exactly my thought. I do have a burlap throw that I usually use to cover my boat that I can rig up. It's a bit heavy so would sag, but maybe a couple more stakes would help prop it up enough. Thanks for the input.

I carry six of those green 4 foot long 1/4 inch hard plastic steaks that you can find in most garden departments that are used to tie plants to to hold them up and a couple pieces of camo material and some small zip ties. Shove the steaks in the ground, zip tie the camo to them and you've got your blind.

I try to use bushes from the spot I’m hunting as much as I can. It’s less to carry and you blend in much better. If your blind is made out of dark green and brown camo and your surroundings are a light green and tan (like wister) your blind will stick out like a sore thumb. Its a pretty basic idea but some guys don’t think about.

4 fast grass panels(Cabelas, Bass Pro about $50), 4 wooden garden stakes with “eye hooks” screwed in at the top, 1 old wader belt. I also carry a small sledge hammer for the hardest ground. 4 corner stakes and hang the panels. Supplement with local vegetation.
To pack up, stack the 4 panels(you’ll never get them back in their original bags), roll around stakes, wrap with wader belt and cinch, and off you go.
Panels are good for 4-5 seasons if you take care of them and their not as heavy as the plastic.

4 fast grass panels(Cabelas, Bass Pro about $50), 4 wooden garden stakes with “eye hooks” screwed in at the top, 1 old wader belt. I also carry a small sledge hammer for the hardest ground. 4 corner stakes and hang the panels. Supplement with local vegetation.
To pack up, stack the 4 panels(you’ll never get them back in their original bags), roll around stakes, wrap with wader belt and cinch, and off you go.
Panels are good for 4-5 seasons if you take care of them and their not as heavy as the plastic.

Plus 1.....This has been our go to set up for years.....Using basically the same set-up in Canada right now with added willows.

I try to use bushes from the spot I’m hunting as much as I can. It’s less to carry and you blend in much better. If your blind is made out of dark green and brown camo and your surroundings are a light green and tan (like wister) your blind will stick out like a sore thumb. Its a pretty basic idea but some guys don’t think about.
Any good hunter will supplement with natural vegetation. We use wayyy more natural vegetation than the fast grass and blind material we bring in. The porta-blind helps out tremendously to kill human outlines and movement. Fastgrass panels are thick.

Wister is a different animal. Some people make terrible blinds there and many do think you can simply hide behind a single panel of fast grass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu