Elk Flat Iron

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Last year was the first time I cooked the “flat iron” steak off my cow elk. I was shocked by how good it was.

Needless to say, every flat iron going forward will be treated with the same regard as backstrap and fillet. Honestly, it might even be better than both, it is like a hybrid of the two. This is from my bull elk this year and it tasted way better than it looked!

montreal steak seasoning, seared over hot extra virgin olive oil.

0CB8CEDA-1E78-4FC9-81C2-F10DF7AA73AD.jpeg6543E64F-B1F1-48F8-BE60-5B4F1F51C325.jpeg3661C374-4F18-4656-B7BB-F37BE70F5D8A.jpeg

I’ve always cut “flat iron” from the outside of the shoulder blade. Pretty small on a deer , but still worth the effort

Reactions: JakeSCH
I’ve always cut “flat iron” from the outside of the shoulder blade. Pretty small on a deer , but still worth the effort

lol yes very much on the outside.

Flat irons are great. That’s why you
Lung-pop- em. Don’t ruin that shoulder

yeah it has me re-thinking shoulder shots for sure. At least I use primarily copper so not all is lost.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu