Entry Level PCP

AverageDude

Oct 29, 2021
I've been using a Gamo Magnum for a couple years and am thinking of making the move to a PCP. It's kind of a beast to haul around, so I'm looking to get a smaller PCP in .22 or .25 that is easier to carry around (ideally with a proper sling). Mostly to be used for cottontails and possibly jacks. I'm curious what folks with more experience think of my choices:
I'd like to:
Stay under 6lbs
Stay under $250
Not ungainly length

The ones I've sort of narrowed it down to are:
Diana Stormrider
Gamo Arrow
Hatsan Flash QE (the .25 is on pyramyd for $250)

Reactions: ilovesprig
I got the Umarex Gauntlet 1...The new gauntlet 2 is about $499.99....I've been real happy so far (2 seasons)...Just make sure you get a good air compressor.......... :blush:

Rabbit opener 2021 3.JPG

Was at Rainbow Shooting Range yesterday. Guy was shooting what looked like a centerfire rifle with a nice scope. Each shot sounded like a mouse fart, no louder. I could barely hear it even without my ear protection on. He showed me his setup. Was a PCP with a nice scope. What made it interesting was that he had a suppressor. Said it was still legal but would not be for long. Was a really nice .25. He was shooting 1" groups at 75 yards. I checked the regs and apparently suppressors are only banned from firearms and a pellet rifle is [at this time] not a firearm. Suppressors appear to be legal and the non-lead requirement does not apply. This would be a great tool for hunting bunnies in areas close to residential areas. Very, very impressive.

Looked further into the law and it appears that there is proposed legislation to make any air/spring/CO2 gun above 22 caliber a firearm. Not sure where that legislation stands at this point.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
Dr,

Most come with built in suppressors these days....They are quiet....................... ;)

My SIL just bought this Umarex Notos...Super quiet, light, and in your price range ($259.99)...We just put a scope on it and will see how it performs soon..............:blush:

Umarex Notos Carbine .22 Caliber PCP Pellet Gun Air Rifle​

BrandUmarex
ColorBlack
Rounds7
Product Dimensions1"L x 1"W x 1"H
Item Weight5 Pounds
Air Gun Power TypePCP
Frame MaterialMetal

0005958_umarex-notos-22-carbine.jpeg

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
The rifle I referenced had a threaded barrel with a screw on suppressor. Guy said it was specifically designed for pellet rifles and would come apart if someone used it on a rimfire. It looked exactly like the suppressors that most of Europe requires on all hunting rifles. So do Australia and New Zealand.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu