Entry level surf rod/reel combo

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
Looking to get into surf fishing this year.. yup, adding another hobby that I don't have time for. Wife will be stoked!

Anyway, looking for suggestions for a budget combo rod/reel for Xmas that I'll take out occasionally. Thinking in the range of an 9' UglyStik medium setup. If I end up doing it more maybe I'll upgrade from there. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Combos aren’t always the best set up. I stay away from combos. Buy the rod and reel separately. Keeping the price down I’d suggest an ugly stick surf rod 10 or 12’ or 14’. For surf fishing you need a long rod to cast a long distance. Stick with 10’ , 12’, or 14’ rod , not shorter. You can get moderately priced decent Penn, Okuma or Diawa reels . If you shop around you can get the rod and reel for around $150. Surf fishing is an awesome sport for many reasons. Once you get started you’ll be “hooked”.

Pretty much disagree with Waterdog big time. Start with a Penn spin fisher reel salt water capable with ten or twelve pound test (Cabelas/ bass Pro) on a seven foot rod and be prepared to go down to a four pound rig with other rods and reels if you want to explore all species. also be be prepared to use everything from spoons to plastics to bait and sinkers of every weight and size. There is no one anwser to shore fishing the surf. I've used a flyrod to catch fish in the surf. I grew up on the beach in So Cal (Del Mar 1964 to 2007 (and now still always talking to my friends that are still there) and it big time depends on what you are targeting, time of year, bait available, and what the fish want that particular day. The most important thing to learn is how to read the the water and where the fish might be. Whenever I fish the surf I sit and watch the water and how the water behave's and target the spot that show's where the fish might be. I've taken everything from perch to sharks, bonito and halibut and stripers just depending on how I hunted and rigged. P.M me if you want more info and I'll tell you what I have learned. Fishing the surf is like fishing a stream for trout, You have to look for the right scenario to be succesful.

Reactions: NBK and SurfNHuntSD
Well just have to totally disagree. Been fishing for over 60 years for everything with fins. I know a thing or two. Short rods for surf fishing can be used but have several disadvantages which you must compensate for. I found a short article that says it better than me.. check it out - https://www.fishfrombeach.com/how-to-cast-far-with-short-surf-rod/
As far as reels I simply named 3 brands that you can find moderately priced reels that are great reels for surf. I leave it up to you which fits your needs and price. BassPro has some good reels too. There’s a lot more to surf fishing that the correct equipment, books have been written on the subject. But you have to start with the best and correct equipment for the situation. I have surf fished both the west coast and the east coast for a variety of species and I’d say 90 plus percent of the rods used are long not short. If you are fishing from a pier or jetty a short rod can work fine. If you are fishing shore with a fairly large heavy surf a longer rod is the best way to go.

Jason I started surf fishing earlier this year and found a bunch of good info from this site. A local guide posts a weekly blog..him and client caught a record yellow tail from shore a few months ago.

Ps. Always been an UglyStick guy..grew up watching Dan Hernandez sport fishing show as a kid and he would put them through the ringer. Toss a Penn battle or fierce reel on one and you should be good to go.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
I would also recommend this site as well https://www.scsurffishing.com/ have learned a ton from that site over the years. I think the biggest thing you need to ask yourself is what you want to try and target in the surf. A lighter rod you can use all day without killing your forearms helps out quite a bit. I always use a Salmon/Steelhead rod in the 8-9.5' range. I really liked the action and the longer rod to be able to keep my line above some of the waves it's also a ton of fun fighting fish on a longer rod IMO. If you are diligent about NOT putting your real in the sand then you can spend some $ on the reel but if you aren't ANY real will get ruined if you don't take care of it in the surf. I have bought cheap Pflueger reels that have lasted YEARS but you have to be careful to not get sand in them. Definitely one of the more fun ways to fish in so cal and it's always fun to catch new species.

I think a 9-10' rod is just fine. I use a bait caster spinning reel. 10-15 lbs. line with lighter leader if target fish are line shy. don't over think it.

I use more than one rig, actual use a long pole for casting out far, and light rigs for perch and what not. with a large rig never know what will hook up.
but I use light line mono/fluorocarbon it has never let me down. a medium size all purpose rig for evert thing. love surf fishing. love the ocean.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu