Fall Turkey/Deer

jmarsh123424

Apr 20, 2020
Hey guys! New to the group! I’ve enjoyed reading and getting information and tips from near everyone on here since finding this forum, and I just wanted to start off with ThankYou!

I’m new to California hunting. But grew up hunting in Florida. Seeing all the red tape I was hesitant to even trying in Cali but after reading everyone’s success, learning, and failure stories I’ve decided to give it a go!

I am deployed right now but I play on getting back and doing some scouting for Fall Turkey spots. I live in Temecula but am looking for D16 or D19.

I should be back during summer sometime, and am looking for a scouting/hunting partner or friend to learn from and with and gain more experience.

I’ve read up on Mt. Laguna and am slightly familiar with the area so I think I might wanna try their for Turkey in the Fall. And I’m likely going to apply for a G10 Camp Pendleton Tag and see my luck there.

I do have a plan to go to Michigan for the deer gun opener with some friends in November and have been in contact with someone at Bitterwater Outfitters in Santa Barbara Mtns talking about a Bison hunt.

I look forward to getting to know a lot of you and definitely learning from the many many years of experience on this forum!

Thanks Guys!!
Justin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Justin. You found the right place for Socal hunting! I know they call Florida a sportsman's paradise so yea must be tough going from that to Cali. I take it you do bow hunting if you're looking at Mt. Laguna and man I didn't know they had bison up in Santa Barbara. Good luck to you this coming season and thank you for your service.

Justin,

Welcome to SCH....Yes, we have a fall season for turkeys....But I beg you, please don't shoot a hen....Our turkeys are on the bubble in many areas....Life for hens is tough enough as it is down here.

Hen turkey wing that had been recently killed probably by a golden eagle.

.018.JPG

As far as deer you would do better at CPen then hunting D16/19 , many more hunters in those zones and a much harder hunt then CPen. They also have some good ducking hunting there as well.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I appreciate it.

I appreciate the advice and will take all into consideration when choosing to hunt deer this fall. Camp Pendleton does seem more favorable from scouting and looking and researching thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu