Favorite Elk Bullet

Well I am torn on what to use to. I can use what has worked or something new.

I am debating taking my brand new 6.5 PRC out for my bull / cow hunts in Colorado.

572FCC83-E0E2-4ECB-A682-4011106CBE08.jpeg

Reactions: NBK
I have killed a lot of animals with that 127LRX including an elk. I am now loading the 124HH. 6.5 is not my bullet of choice for Elk nothing beats frontal diameter doesn’t matter how much horsepower is pushing that 6.5 I prefer the 7mm and 308 bullets. I am building my new 280AI for that reason.

Reactions: Kellendv
Drew and John bring some important points to the conversation and they are undeniable in my opinion. Having a little bit of first hand experience with this as well as second hand info from people I follow and trust because they live the life. I would put forward that an elk can be put down with a .243 and have heard more than one story where some folks I know personally have put there junior hunters in that scenario with proper coaching and the junior knowing how to handle a firearm. I have personally put myself to task to take a cow elk with a 25-06 and it took one shot to get it done. I don't recommend it as it was a scenario I was presented with after a buddy of mine had to use my 338 to finish a cow and I had no more ammo for my hunt. There was a gun writer by the name of John Wooters (long gone) that thought it was a great cartridge for elk I don't endorse that but he had much more experience than I so who are all of us to say ? Bottom line...bullet placement...

Big targets that taste great!

Don't worry how You're going to get them out...... It'll ruin the joy of the hunt!

Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu