Felon's on Juries?

chessie

Sep 5, 2018
Could happen.....only in CA.

"This bill would delete the prohibition relative to persons who have been convicted of a felony from being qualified to be a trial juror, and instead prohibit persons while they are incarcerated in any prison or jail. "

I have said it before, not all ideas are good ones. This is especially true when it comes from sucramento

So... I've just got to ask here... are you all saying that you couldn't possibly see it whatsoever... that a *certain* enumerated list of non-violent Felonies (such as possession of a substance with intent to sell, for example)... which may have happened very long ago... and the person has been on the up and up ever since... should NEVER be allowed to participate in the justice system?

This brings up another interesting issue I've thought about and asked about with others as well. In terms of right to Firearms. After a certain point, they can petition to have their right to bear arms re-instated (and I'd have to imagine if they can do that, they also re-instate voting rights). And logically they have to be able to give back right to self-defense at some point, because... if we as a society take away those rights from them... then... I have to imagine their safety could legally be argued as our (the collective our) responsibility at that moment we elect to prevent them from arming themselves. A la wrongful-death suits.

So it'd be interesting to read the specifics in this bill. I'd be very surprised if it's a simple blanket statement just willie-nillie giving back *all* Felons the right to participate in the Justice system. Of course, it could very well be written just that poorly, and if it is, let's certainly let our representatives know how stupid that is.

But anyhoo... just wanted to make the point that not everything that is a "Felony" is black and white heinous/evil.

So for discussion sake if this bill passes how does a convicted drug offender felon serve on a narcotics case or a Fraud felon on any financial case? the same for any other trial with a likewise prior offender on its jury.... Voir Dire is going to be extremely embarrassing to the prospective juror (Felon) when he/she has to stand up and recuse their self by telling the court that they committed the same or similar crime. Sacramento should be tackling the number of HOBOs in this once great state and putting them to work on road crews and such instead of proposing preposterous bills and spending our tax dollars.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Right, Ok... that's a good point to bring up. So... how many years afterward are those people to be considered *tainted* or *bad goods* and continue to not be an active part in their own governance?

'Cause I mean... the ones with half a lick of sense in 'em... fall back in line with the rest of us. And if they're lucky, eventually go on to be Fathers, GrandFathers etc. and have "stake in the game".

I guess my point is.... (And I'm sure it's on a case-by-case basis but)... what should be the minimum amount of time a Felon has these various rights revoked? And I mean, sure, some things, like murder/manslaughter/maybe even assault, I could see that answer being Never... but what about the various other things?

I hate drug dealers!...Jail, not being able to vote, own a gun, etc....Are partially there to be a deterrent....You want to own a gun, vote, not go to jail....Then don't do the crime.

With this said, I have a friend that did some pretty stupid things in his younger years....Turned his life around and now is able to hunt (own a gun) again....See no reason he shouldn't be able to vote someday....Case by case is right on.

Case by Case sounds good but who makes that call ? The Judge? every judge has his/her own thoughts and biases so this won't be uniform procedure in every court...

Reactions: TheGDog
why not this state is full of BS anyways.. They did away with the death penalty... anyone that supports the "Demoncrat" Party is a looser.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu