Field Butcher vid

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
I was searching for quartering a deer, on youtube, and found this footage of a guy expertly wielding a knife maximize the amount of meat he saved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUArHhWj3rY

Very cool. Perfect for in the field dressing. I do it a little different. I just take a super dull blade and hack away until chunks fall off. Maybe I'll try this next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewski2324 said:
Very cool. Perfect for in the field dressing. I do it a little different. I just take a super dull blade and hack away until chunks fall off. Maybe I'll try this next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol

That was very impressive skill with a knife, and with anatomy. That video was essentially unedited! He sets a high standard of efficiency and thoroughness.
One point to remember for those of us in the States, though: in cervids (deer, antelope, elk): don't cut across the spinal chord if you're planning to use that knife again on meat without washing it first. Chronic wasting disease can be spread by contamination with brain or spinal chord. My two cents. Apparently CWD is not a thing down under. Hope it stays that way.

In reality if you are field dressing you don't need to sever the spine, you can remove back legs etc and only still leave a small amount of meat on carcass. Only when we are home and hang up a sambar do we cut through spine at the second spine joint as it's a soft one to remove back legs

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu