Finding quail

Auguie

Nov 20, 2019
Need help finding and hunting quail
I was thinking of hunting Carrizo ecological reserve near these spots.

Attachments

• 2019-11-20 (4).png
    2019-11-20 (4).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • 2019-11-20 (3).png
    2019-11-20 (3).png
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 2019-11-20 (1).png
    2019-11-20 (1).png
    2.2 MB · Views: 54
Only one way to find out.... Go look

No one will give up their quail spots it's like asking to sleep with a mans wife, well your wife better be hot too. Wait bad example. It's like..... Oh never mind it's just bad. Go look and report back

Agreed the Quail numbers are great this year! Now... swingin' your shotgun onto 'em fast enough and singling out a single one to focus on, and then actually hitting it... yeah... that's gonna need a little more work for this shotgun n00b. But DAMN has it been challenging and fun!

And Heck, for Quail?... all ya gotta do is be listening while you've been out and about scouting pre-season. Once you learn their like 3 main sounds they do, and what they mean, you'll be hearing them all over the place as you go along about your business in your pre-season scouting. That's not to say that actually finding them and getting a shot on them will be easy, even when you do hear them. But that's what makes it fun. You WILL be doing quite a bit of walking though!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Augie, I use to hit Carrizo a lot years ago... find the canyons and washes and start working along their slopes. I only found birds on flat ground there a couple of times. I still mean to get out there before this season is over.

Long hike off 166 to get to those spots, no vehicle access on those roads. My guess is you'll encounter quail far sooner then the 5+ miles it'll take you to get back that far. You could also go up into the Rock Front OHV area. Seen quail up there in the past. They might close that area though already for winter or if not they will soon most likely.

Thank you very much
I’m not asking for any spots just what to look for.
There are so many spots I don’t know where to start maybe thinking of starting at the Rock front trailhead like Steve said.

Last edited:
Thank you very much
I’m not asking for any spots just what to look for.
There are so many spots I don’t know where to start maybe thinking of starting at the Rock front trailhead like Steve said.
Deer picked my interest over Quail. Now that I am hunting for Deer I find Quail..lol. I was hunting Dove and I found a bunch of Quail too. I try to shoot them but little bastards are too quick and fly low.
Mountain Quail and Desert Quail seem to have different behavior. The one thing it gives them both away is their call. Not always loud, not always consistent. They can see you way before you see them, they have a spotter watching for predators.
They seem to like flat open areas with places to hide close by. If you hear them, you can't just walk to where they are, it seems you have to hide and watch first.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Auguie what part of town do you live in ? Carrizo plain is a great spot to try , I heard they had a super bloom there this year, and grass land is off the chart . I have seen Chukars there in the past . Snow also brings birds down , I'm waiting for the next low elevation snow storm , then I will walk the snow line !

Decided where to go going next weekend

Attachments

• 2019-11-24 (1).png
    2019-11-24 (1).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 2019-11-24.png
    2019-11-24.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 46

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu