First hunt

Creaturekeeper

Oct 11, 2018
I'm applying for my first deer tag this year, Zone D-12 any advice for hunting the area? I've never gone deer hunting been doing my fair share of research and prep for a year now I feel ready for this coming season. I'm new to hunting pretty much self taught from reading and watching videos. So any good advice is appreciated.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Get good binoculars on a tripod they are more important than the gun, find water, get to you glassing knob before sunrise, stay until after dark, and spend a lot of time in the field.
Killing is the easy part finding them is the hard part.
One more thing the main reason I am successful is not skill it’s that I am stubborn. If you spend more time in the field, if you don’t quit, if you go further than everyone else and if you are able to block out discomfort and misery you will be successful. When You Hunt never quit no matter how discouraged you are and that will lead to meat on the ground. A little luck never hurts either.

Last edited:
Get good binoculars on a tripod they are more important than the gun, find water, get to you glassing knob before sunrise, stay until after dark, and spend a lot of time in the field.
Thank you. Will definitely do that, I have not got any binoculars yet still searching for affordable quality.

Check out craigslist for gear, hunting equipment is kinda like exercise equipment, a certain few use it all the time but a majority use it once and there it sits. Time in the field is free just get out there.

The zone is huge, which part of it are you going to look in? I have some cams out there and have some info I can DM you depending on where in the zone your wanting to go.

Here is their California range map.

Attachments

• M181.pdf
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Trapline thanks much appreciated. I be based out of the Winterhaven area so I guess the southern end of the zone. Ill be going out May 11 to start getting a feel for the area.

One more thing the main reason I am successful is not skill it’s that I am stubborn. If you spend more time in the field, if you don’t quit, if you go further than everyone else and if you are able to block out discomfort and misery you will be successful. When You Hunt never quit no matter how discouraged you are and that will lead to meat on the ground. A little luck never hurts either.
Well said and advice....
Patience and persistence..

Reactions: Creaturekeeper
Look at the the big game pinned post
How do you see so many deer.
And this

Ditto what Truduct was saying. You want to make sure that at the end of the season, win or lose, you can look back and feel that you put in as much effort as you possibly could. Just remind yourself that you wait all darn year for this! Squeeze the most out of the precious amount of time which you CAN devote to the pursuit. And definitely you should be hikin' in during dark... and hiking out during dark, if you wanna see a buck.

No matter what, remind yourself that you got out there and you actually did something about it! When you get that first animal... brother.. you will be HOOKED!!!

PS seriously consider doing a few overnighters BEFORE the actual season is upon you! You wanna test your gear, in the area you intend to go to, and be familiar with how cold it can comfortably go BEFORE you're having to rely on it like you will during the season. This will give you some time to make corrections to your setup and equipment if need be. Like if your socks and boots don't go gold enough. You DON'T want to be finding that out the hard way, if at all possible.

PS seriously consider doing a few overnighters BEFORE the actual season is upon you! You wanna test your gear, in the area you intend to go to, and be familiar with how cold it can comfortably go BEFORE you're having to rely on it like you will during the season. This will give you some time to make corrections to your setup and equipment if need be. Like if your socks and boots don't go gold enough. You DON'T want to be finding that out the hard way, if at all possible.
Thank you yes definitely will be doing some overnighters to scout, prep and test equipment.

Words of wisdom right there..! That is a golden nugget to all the new hunters on here. One thing I know, if you are routinely successful here in SoCal (D16 and otherwise) you can take that same skill set and be successful ANYWHERE. Proven time and time again...

Oh... and if you should happen to share pics on your social media?

Be prepared for the haterade. OH...My... Gawd!!!...be prepared for the haterade!

When you finally make it happen... naturally you're going to want to proudly post it up on social media, our modern version of the cavewall. Your proud moment of glory.

And when you do... OMG.... you will quickly learn just how widespread all these moronic beliefs are out there. And just how many people are infected by the "Awww!!! It's cute and furry!!! How could you do that!!!?" disease. Be prepared for some unfriendings, etc.

Try the Rokslide classifieds as well. Tons of gear circulates through there at great prices. Get in shape. The physical grind shuts guys down quickly. The above advice is solid. Good glass, boots, pack, ONX and being fit. Good luck.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu