First jackrabbit

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
uzejyqyp.jpg

To switch things up I tried going after jacks this past weekend and bagged one. But I've never tasted it before and heard they're usually passed up by most hunters. I was surprised how wrong they are. Jack meat is very full flavored and does well in a stew. I did mine cacciatore style with tomato, wine and a little stock. Just thought I'd share my new experience.

Cool! I bagged one a few weeks ago as well. Still waiting to try a recipe. Did you marinade it in the fridge for a few days?

Right on... lots of Jacks out here that get overlooked by most people. I'll try my first one this weekend. Thanks SnHSD.

It looks delicious SurfNHuntSD! Please share your recipe. You could use almost any game!

I got a set of jack legs in a brine right now going on 24 hours. Thinking ill sear and slow cook. Try to make Jack Tacos. Any tips?

Only suggestion would be to braise the meat in liquid for awhile until pull apart tender. Any sort of quick cooking methods may end up with dry stringy hare meat. Maybe try Mexican style shredded meat tacos? Boil it in seasoned water for a couple hrs with onion, garlic, chicken stock,tomato?

SurfNHuntSD said:
Only suggestion would be to braise the meat in liquid for awhile until pull apart tender. Any sort of quick cooking methods may end up with dry stringy hare meat. Maybe try Mexican style shredded meat tacos? Boil it in seasoned water for a couple hrs with onion, garlic, chicken stock,tomato?

So you think searing it is unnecessary? No point if it'll be boiling, right?

8SteelTown said:
SurfNHuntSD said:

So you think searing it is unnecessary? No point if it'll be boiling, right?
You can brown meat before braising, but that is not the same as searing. With tough, tendinous small game like jackrabbit, or the shank of larger game, I brown it first but always braise or stew it. Browning/searing alone will leave it too tough as Surfnhunt said.

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu