First Pig Down

Dwikkles

May 21, 2012
San Diego
Finally after a few years of a lot of hard work and learning I put the bow aside for a bit, picked up the gun and put my first boar in the dirt :)

Last light on a long hot day, .308 exploded his heart, anchored where he stood. Only my 5'3" cute little asian GF was there to help me gut, drag, and get out of there. Praise God they do exist.

4vOEVdS.jpg

dRo8p7A.jpg

And since I know someone will ask, it was private land and I am a Wilderness Unlimited member. Central Cal

Reactions: sleipnir
Congrats Landon. Nice job getting it done. I gotta ask ;D. When you say "praise god they do exist". Are you talking about pigs or cute little Asian GF's?

ummm no pics of the gf? you know the rules.... BS with out PICS ..........

Well done. Looks like you're shooting the Ruger American?

I really like the second picture, I think it shows respect for the animal and the kill.

Lungpopper said:
Congrats Landon. Nice job getting it done. I gotta ask ;D. When you say "praise god they do exist". Are you talking about pigs or cute little Asian GF's?

hahaha well I meant the pigs since I hadnt been seeing them for years, but I guess any cute GF that loves hunting is a rarity all the same :D

msteiger said:

I really like the second picture, I think it shows respect for the animal and the kill.

Good eye sir! Love it great value

I caught a little crap on another forum for not sharing the story more indepth so....

Basically we only had one day to hunt because WU closed our "spring pig season" on the 31st and we had work so we drove up Friday night, set camp around 12:30, got up at 4:30 and set out. Found some small water by chance fairly early after driving around, seeing nothing and getting out to hike. All the trees around the hole had mud rubs. this was our first time at this ranch so we kept moving to learn the area best we could. We tried another access gate and found a trail I was told about from a friend and followed it very slowly to a bigger water source at which we saw 7 turkey, including 2 nice toms. We sat for a bit till we realized it was just too hot for animal movement most likely and decided to go eat lunch and come back a few hours before dark and sit the opposite side. In the meantime we drove the ranch to learn the roads for deer season.

To sum it up, about 3.5 hours before dark we went back, set up down wind of the water best we could, fought off ants and ticks for a few hours, then right at dusk when it got gray she bowed her head and said a little prayer for pigs to come in (she said she felt bad for me cause i've wanted this so long and I looked so intent) and literally as she was lifting her head up we heard fast movement through the woods about 75yds across the other side and 3 pigs popped and pounded the water w/o a care in the world. She could see them perfect she said as she was sitting a ways behind me but I had a big ol leafy branch literally blocking the the one spot they were in. I tried to maneuver to get a cleaner shot to no avail, but luckily there was a bit of a thin spot that I could see most of their bodies through. I looked back at her to make sure she saw them and she had this look like "what are you doing dont look at me shoot them!" so I took seated aim at basically the front of the one I could see best and let'er rip. Anchored it where it stood, kicking a little bit dragging itself into the water. After about 10 seconds it was done. The hole was right in the neck (quartering to me) and the heart was completely annihilated. When I picked it up to move it a stream of heart blood that filled the body cavity squirted out the neck hole. I said a little prayer of thanks over the body and got to work before the lions came :)

The End

Now she says its her turn while I hunt A zone for deer. We've both shot pigs in Texas with our bows and lost them. Mine due to a bad back shot from a limb deflection and hers due to her low poundage on a big boar's shoulder that didn't penetrate. So she wants retribution like I did I imagine haha. We both also killed our first Turkey's this year as well, again with guns after a couple misses in years past on public land with bows. So far is an amazing year all around.

msteiger said:

X2... honorable

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu