First post. Need help hunting coyotes!!!

bOnEsMaStA

Jun 27, 2013
San Diego
This is my first post on SCH and im excited to be on here. Im 26, and im a native san diegan. I used to be bloodydecks.com but that site has alot of big headed ego types. Im a licensed 100 ton captain and i work on a sport fishing so i love the outdoors. Enough with the "story of my life" lol.

So i shoot alot of trap and skeet and decided to get my hunters safety and license. I really want to gun down a coyote. Im using a shotgun, 12 gauge with full choke and 00 buck. I bought a primos double jackrabbit distress caller and a decoy. Ive been out 4 times now during the day and once at night with no luck. Not even seen one. Ive watched you tube vids on how to call and feel im doing it right but no luck.

Ive been hunting in delzura off the old 94. Any pointers? Maybe different spots! Please help. Thanks....

First of all welcome to the site....I am no expert, but just because you did not see one does not mean they are not there. You should remain very still and quiet and be aware of the wind direction. Yotes will circle down wind of the prey before moving in and may be winding you. An electronic call placed away from you helps with this issue. I am sure others will chime in here and there is a post below on making your own electronic call.

Keep at it, every day in the field is better than sitting on the sofa...wait, that's what I am doing now!

Welcome to the site, I think you will find an environment here which you will enjoy.

First thing you are doing right is getting out. The more you get out the better your chance will come to get one. I would recommend switching to #4 buck. This is one of the more frequent used shots for coyote. Not that 00 won't work it will, but #4 is what us varmint guys seem to like. Her is a video of my friend doing a talk about it. It is good also for new coyote hunters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eLV0wVJ1-WY

Again welcome to this great place.

wheels said:
Welcome to the site, I think you will find an environment here which you will enjoy.

First thing you are doing right is getting out. The more you get out the better your chance will come to get one. I would recommend switching to #4 buck. This is one of the more frequent used shots for coyote. Not that 00 won't work it will, but #4 is what us varmint guys seem to like. Her is a video of my friend doing a talk about it. It is good also for new coyote hunters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eLV0wVJ1-WY

Again welcome to this great place.

I am with Wheels! Keep trying there are days and weeks I have gone with out seeing a coyotes.. also go with 00 Buckshot

Good luck and welcome to the site!

keep at it and you will connect,

You might want to pattern your gun with the buck shot. It's amazing how fast that stuff opens up. My first coyote i ever shot at with a shotgun i did a clean miss at 40 yards or so. The pellets landed all around him and he got away!

SoCalGuidedHunts 0000 buck, really?

Stay with it, I called my first yote 34 years ago you would think with all that experience I would be able to call them in any time I wanted and that just isn't true.
Coyotes are smart animals and they will do there best to one up you. Every time you go out your learning something about the sport. It wont be long and you'll get one.

I use #4 buck

Wow right on guys. Thank you. Is delzura blm land a good spot? I just feel there may be alot of hunting pressure. Any spots to scout around down here. I hear otay is good. Im not asking for any honey holes maybe a general area.

I also have a crap ton of 3" 2 shot shells. Im saving some for turkeys and ducks. Would they work? Thanks again for the good feedback and warm welcome.

Welcome to the site bOnEsMaStA. A lot of good info above. Just remember, getting out there is 90% of success!

bOnEsMaStA said:
I also have a crap ton of 3" 2 shot shells. Im saving some for turkeys and ducks. Would they work? Thanks again for the good feedback and warm welcome.

If a coyote was 5-10 yards from me and thats all I had I would do my best to make it work lol. Other then that I would not go out hunting coyotes with them in my gun! I want something that is going to drop it!

Welcome!!!
Here is the first piece of advice when hunting varmints......Start your hunt with not slamming the truck doors when you get to a place you want to hunt.

bOnEsMaStA said:
Wow right on guys. Thank you. Is delzura blm land a good spot? I just feel there may be alot of hunting pressure. Any spots to scout around down here. I hear otay is good. Im not asking for any honey holes maybe a general area.

You are correct Dulzura does get a decent amount of pressure and Otay does as well.

Since you are a local to San Diego, you might check out http://www.sandiegocountyvarmintcallers.com/ We meet on the third Monday of every month at 7:00 pm at Coco's restaurant in El Cajon. Like "Wheels" said, go with #4 buckshot in your scattergun. Much better than 00 buck. Regarding your 100-ton license...are you running a boat now? I used to run boats down at H&M in San Diego (Sea Adventure), Seaforth Landing in Mission Bay (Outer Limits) and all the boats up at Oceanside. I still run the big boats now and then, but nothing steady lately. Mostly helping a buddy on a six-pack (Pacific Venture) out of Oceanside when he needs a second. Come out to the meetings. We'd love to meet you in person.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu