First shotgun

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
My daughter's 7th bday is coming up and I'm looking to buy her a shotgun -- her first real firearm. She's practiced with her Red Ryder for years and has shot my .17HMR before but it's time for the real thing. Any recommendations? No single shots.. don't know her LOP but can measure.

I shot two different mossberg 500s when I started when I was 12. First a 410 then a 20 gauge. Only used them for a few seasons but I didn’t have any problems with them. Only hunted doves with them, I thought the safety on top was convenient.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Pumps and OU have significantly more recoil than a semi auto. Depending on the guage and loads she is shooting and her sensitivity to recoil it may be something to consider. You don't want her to develop a flinch.

Mine was Rem 1100 youth addition. 20 in barrel chokes. Pretty sure 2 3/4 only 20ga. Last her until she is 16-18

My recommendation especially for a little girl is go semi auto. Also don’t rush her into a shotgun. Once they get recoil shy it takes years to get rid of the flinch.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu