First Spottie and Hali!

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
So I've had the itch to get back out since I caught my first large mouths 2 weeks ago. I went out surf fishing with my neighbor last week but we didn't have any luck..Decided to get out early with 2 buddies this morning and go after some Spotted Bay Bass. Rigged up the drop shot and on the first cast I hooked up! Didn't get a great picture of it but it was a nice first Spottie.
IMG_3881.jpg
Had a small sculpin messing with my bait but no bites for another half hour so we moved down to cast off some rocks. Just about 20 minutes later I felt a good pull and as I reeled in I could tell it was something different. Once it popped to the surface I realized I landed my first Halibut!! It was about 12 inches so had to send it back on its way.
Resized_20200718_072901.jpeg

Resized_20200718_072945.jpeg

Resized_20200718_073043.jpeg

20200718_072734.jpg

Its pretty amazing how well they camouflage to their surroundings..

Overall it was a great morning.. caught my first Spottie and Halibut! Look forward to getting out again.

Went out again this evening with @Mattydoesntknow and we both landed a spottie for the night...I seem to be good or bad luck for him depending on how you look at it..its happened twice now that when I leave.. 10 min later he lands a fish..Last time it was a corbina at the strand and now a spottie in the harbor..still it was a nice night to be out and 1 fish is better then no fish!

Resized_20200724_220700.jpeg

20200724_220710.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu