First time bear hunting

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
I got invited to tag along for a hunting trip in Northern California and I decided to get a bear tag to try out my luck. But I have never hunted for bear nor have I ever seen one out in the wild. I have done some research on the area and it seems there is a good population of bears. I will be heading up north in 2 weeks and will be spending 3 complete days of hunting. I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I should look for or what I should do to improve my chance to harvest a bear.

Hunt them like deer...stay on the roads and use the truck...they like roads and trucks..soon as you get out of that truck.....they gone...that's all I got.

Kooii,

Matt is teasing you. Look for areas with food, like acorns. And listen, as bears can be very quiet.

I once lost a trail I was following that crossed a small creek. There was an island in the creek with head high bushes. I figured I would cross through the island and find the trail on the other side. To my surprise, as I entered a clear spot on the island I almost stepped on a 350 lb bear. Thankfully we both got scared and ran in different directions. Being that close will make you lose your underwear.

Reactions: MJB and Koi00
Kooii,

Matt is teasing you. Look for areas with food, like acorns. And listen, as bears can be very quiet.

I once lost a trail I was following that crossed a small creek. There was an island in the creek with head high bushes. I figured I would cross through the island and find the trail on the other side. To my surprise, as I entered a clear spot on the island I almost stepped on a 350 lb bear. Thankfully we both got scared and ran in different directions. Being that close will make you lose your underwear.
Actually..I'm not...trust me...bears like roads.

Kooii,

I once lost a trail I was following that crossed a small creek. There was an island in the creek with head high bushes. I figured I would cross through the island and find the trail on the other side. To my surprise, as I entered a clear spot on the island I almost stepped on a 350 lb bear. Thankfully we both got scared and ran in different directions. Being that close will make you lose
Kooii,

I imagine it was an intense moment.
Should I look for them like would for deer?

We saw bears in X6b a few years ago....from the road. Two in the summer while scouting, but they could care less about us. Saw one during deer season, but when I stopped the car to get a look, he hauled ass for some trees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We saw bears in X6b a few years ago....from the road. Two in the summer while scouting, but they could care less about us. Saw one during deer season, but when I stopped the car to get a look, he hauled ass for some trees.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalkth
This

• Haha
Reactions: IVhunter
Actually the only place I have seen bears was on dirt roads. Maybe cuz I never drive my truck through the brush.

It's true. there is a video of a bear dragging a deer off the road. Saw it on Fox News on line edition.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu