First time cleaning guns. My thoughts.

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
Took my model 1100 i inherited from my dad apart to clean and even after watching a few youtube videos it was hard to figure out. Took me about an hour to take apart and clean and get back together but I got it. The mossberg 500 was way easier. Next I get to clean a 3030 and a rem 700. Hope they are easier. It will be a first for me cleaning a rifle. It's a good feeling know they are clean now!

Clean guns are happy guns. I have a remington 58 close to the 1100 it's not easy comp to my others. The 700 is much easier on the 1100 make sure you strip down the bolt as well it's gets pretty nasty inside the bolt on the fire pin

Take the time and treat them right. I know you guys know. My remi 870 will get a little external rust on her if I don't clean her well after a rainy hunt. My Ruger American gets little rust right underneath the front of my scope for some reason. I keep her clean as a whistle so when I see it, it kills me!

Larry Potterfield makes some great videos, and that's one of them. Make sure your muzzle is slightly lower than the receiver so all the solvent runs forward and doesn't pool near the bore guide. That will keep it out of the action when you remove the bore guide.
New guns are prone to fouling and it can take a long time to clear it with just a brush and patches. There are some great foaming products out there that can make cleaning more efficient. Check out this thread:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=6108

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu