First time deer hunt need advice

82toydude

Jul 28, 2013
After the last rain the other week it seemed the deer were out around my area, fresh tracks abound, so I set up my camera to try to catch a pattern of movement. As the rest of the week went by it was obvious the deer had moved on. Was it the rain that brought the deer down to a lower elevation?

I live next to Cleveland NF and make daily observations on my walks out of the neighborhood. I don't know deer habit at all and rarely see them.

Once each day. I retrieved the camera to view the pics then reset it. The only additional prints each time were my boot prints.

Is checking the camera once a day too often?

Yes. You are leaving your scent in the area. Takes a few days for your scent to disperse and the deer to get back to there routine.
Wait at least a week. The longer the better. I have a camera out that I will check this week that's been there for six weeks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu