First time going out scouting

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
Went out for the first time on Saturday scouting for Desert Big Horn Sheep and was very successful. I spotted these sheep a little over a mile away and they walked towards me to about 150 yards in front of me. He was not a big ram but I was very happy to find them. Now it’s time to start applying for the draw.
891C0925-5656-409A-9B3D-BD8C071B1108.jpeg
982510EB-30E6-44EB-95CD-C2AFC7A9DFA7.jpeg

Very cool...Little surprised that there's no bigger rams still with this group of ewes...Some big boys are still looking for love at this time of year...Their rut ends in November/early December.

Reactions: Koi00 and CAL'NDN
Be prepared to apply for the rest of your life and probably never draw a tag for a set of horns and something that is only a trophy that you get one chance when you draw the tag and is not great eating. I helped a fellow in 2010 get one in Arizona and it was a fun hunt as they are not very smart and easy to kill but eat very poorly. My friend shot a record book animal with the help of a guide which I would strongly reccomend you do if you draw as they are hard to judge if you do not konw what you are looking at.

That is super cool that you went and wore out some boot leather and put glass on bighorn sheep! Nice accomplishment. That is probably my favorite animal to glass for. Keep going until you find a big ram. Learn the country. Maybe someday you can help a tagholder find a big ram. I know three guys that have drawn and I was invited to help glass. It's a blast.

Reactions: Koi00
I love sheep. Start applying now and those sheep’s grand babies will be monsters when you draw. Somebody is going to draw it might as well be you.

Reactions: Koi00
someone gets drawn but why is that someone never me. i think even with max points its still a one in a thousand draw.

That is super cool that you went and wore out some boot leather and put glass on bighorn sheep! Nice accomplishment. That is probably my favorite animal to glass for. Keep going until you find a big ram. Learn the country. Maybe someday you can help a tagholder find a big ram. I know three guys that have drawn and I was invited to help glass. It's a blast.
It is very exciting to be able to find them. I’ll try to be going as often as I can and try to post as much as I can on what I see.

That's rad. Was this in SD county? Do you ever do the Anza Borrego sheep counts? I've been interested but it's usually in July when it's 200 degrees...
It is not SD county. I saw this year a sheep count add, I wanted to try it but I wasn’t able to sign up for it.

someone gets drawn but why is that someone never me. i think even with max points its still a one in a thousand draw.
To what I have read and understood and I have been told it depends on the tags available for the unit. If the unit only has one tag it goes to the random draw and if there are more tags they will allocate one tag for the max point holders. I might be wrong but that’s what I’ve understood.

That's rad. Was this in SD county? Do you ever do the Anza Borrego sheep counts? I've been interested but it's usually in July when it's 200 degrees...
The reason it is July when Borrego is done is because the seasonal water sources are gone and the biologists use the known water sources to have the sheep congregate so that they can get a good count. Been that way for years and will never change.

To what I have read and understood and I have been told it depends on the tags available for the unit. If the unit only has one tag it goes to the random draw and if there are more tags they will allocate one tag for the max point holders. I might be wrong but that’s what I’ve understood.
It’s a 75/25 split
1 tag = random
2 tags = random/pp
3 tags = 1 random / 2pp
4 tags = 1 random / 3 pp
5 tags = 1 random / 4 pp
6 tags = 1 random / 5 pp
And so on tell you get to 8 tags in a unit
Then it would be
8 tags = 2 random / 6 pp

so for a max pp holder there really isn’t a benefit to going to 8 tags in a unit 7 tags would be the sweet spot but since we don’t have a unit that even offers that many tags it’s not much of a discussion or concern.

What unit did you go glass for sheep in?

I get to go get behind some glass and look at sheep tomorrow.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu