First time out with Sako 85

ladiver

May 11, 2014
Yorba Linda, CA
Just picked up the Sako and had the scope mounted (Thanks NBK!). Took it out to the range yesterday and had a hell of a time. 300wsm is just a LITTLE more powerful than the .223 AR I am used to shooting. :)

I just wanted to dial in the scope at 100 and 200, only had access to the 100 yard range. That was OK, since I don't have a bipod or shooting sticks yet. I used a bench and a rolled towel to rest on. There was a cover at the shooting bench, so I had to stay much lower than I was comfortable with. This led to poor form which resulted in a very sore shoulder. I started almost 9 inches high. Ooops. I was not sure why I could not hit the target. Thankfully another guy was willing to help spot my shots. Then I started fine tuning. My first shots were all with less expensive Winchester ammo. Once I got close, I switched to Barnes copper 150 and 165 grain.

The lone bullet between with groups was the Winchester. The two at the top/right were 165gr copper and the bottom/left were 150gr copper. This was at 100 yards. While not perfect, I am VERY happy with my results. Next weekend, I will get out with shooting stinks and proper position! All should be in the green. I am going to finish dialing in for my deer trip in 3 weeks.

What would you all recommend for local deer? The 150gr or 165gr? I have both and my accuracy seems to be the same with both.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_6244.JPG
    IMG_6244.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
Nice shooting! I would suggest the 150g bullets or lighter, speed is your friend with copper bullets.

What scope did you end up putting on your rifle, and what rings and base?

Good luck!

I got the Leopold VX-6 2-12x42 with Boone and Crockett reticle. I have it mounted with S&K mounts and rings. I have Murray leather sling on order. So far, I am very happy with this rifle.

I will dial in with 150gr this weekend out to 200 and 300. I hope to keep the same groupings once I get proper form and shooting position. I will also try out a Primos Tripod. Plus, the more I get comfortable with the rifle, the more accurate I will become.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu