first time Wister

Sep 7, 2014
San Diego
OK guys, I've only hunted a few times here in So Cal this year, but not yet at Wister and finally got drawn. I have a few questions, Do i need to bring extra cover with me for a blind or is it natural cover or blinds made there. Also, how do you know where you are going to be hunting at Wister. If I would get some help with these question it would help me be better prepared. I'm from Washington State and its like night and day considered to here, ducks and everything. Thanks for the help everyone.

it always helps to bring a bit of camo with you, they also sell the natural shrub there. remember only one box of sheels in the blind, keep the rest in your car, parking isn't that far from most blinds. you will be picking your blind as your number is called, look on the board to see the kill count, cant guarantee the hunt will be the same, could be better could be worst than previous, keep you shots within killin range please no sky busting. have fun.

Later in the season there generally is plenty of cover near the blind. With that said I always bring cover with me to the blind site. The best cover out there is called arrow weed. We cut it well off the refuge in large bundles. You will find lots of dried up stuff near the blind that you can use to make your blind, or add to an existing.

Yes, you will know where you are hunting. You pic an actual blind spot. Each blind spot has an assigned parking area. Park, unload and walk in the direction of your blind. There will be a stake with your blind number at the end of the dike, this just signifies you are on the correct path. Follow the dike down until you hit the stake you are hunting from. A majority of the blinds you must hunt 100 yards from that stake, but some are 50 yards. Know the rules for the blind you picked. You can ask at the check station.

When is your draw? The reason I ask is because it is starting to rain there. That place is THE WORST sloppy mess in the rain. I would rather drive in snow and ice here in CO than that crap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sundays can be very slow at Wister, but a great day to learn the refuge. If I were you I would make a weekend out if it. Either sweatline friday night to hunt saturday or walk on saturday to hunt the afternoon. This way you may have a better idea of where you want to hunt on Sunday.

If you get some wind it could be good.

You can hunt 4 adults and 2 juniors to a blind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey diesel , that's good . A dog and waders , or waders ( no dog you need waders , hip type will do ). A two day season pass ( good for 2 guys for 1 day , or 1 guy for 2 days Big five) Bucket or the 25$ dove chair ( bass pro sells ) was muddy in Nov will be this weekend will be muddy . decoys . Duck calls , very warm cloths. Hand warmers/toe warmers . I forgot my blind a few weeks ago and they ducks were spotting me . Cut some big branches to bring in stick them in the mud or dirt . 19$ bass pro has a 12 by 5 burlap . It really helps in brush up time . Being hidden is key now. Tell us what you have 8)

I've got all my gear, ie waders, jacket, warmers, small tripod seat. I bought a type A 1 day pass for myself, that's where I messed up. I didn't read the rules about the day passes, now my partner has to buy a separate 1 day pass, spend more money. We are gonna be out tomorrow around here tomorrow so I'll get some brush packed in my truck before we head out there. I was stationed in Japan for 8 years and only can home hunting maybe 3 times so my calling is really rusty. This season to me is a knock off the dust and rust season

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu