First trip since hip surgery.

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
I took my grandson out on The Dreamer, a six pack boat. The two of us got 5 nice grade yellow tail, he got 3. It was booked as a White Sea bass trip, but they have been a no show at Catalina, we went to San Clement instead. We lost two to the dogs and a few to structure. The last one he hooked up took him into the kelp and he couldn't get it out so I took the pole and started working it, I didn't get him out, instead I pulled him and a large patch of kelp back to the boat, that was a real bitch. I didn't even know he was still on until I got the kelp right up to the boat. How the line didn't break is beyond me, it was torn up from the kelp. The five of us, one no show, ended the day with 13 YT. Resized_20220716_144337.jpeg

Great trip. Clemente usually has better grade YT than the Nados.

Yup, they seem to get more in the line of kelp paddy grade down there. 9-15 lbs. with a few stand outs. above 20.
The biggest locals I’ve seen caught are homeguards on the backside of Catalina, but very hit and miss. Nados are the most reliable, followed by Clemente. YT are so fun, anything over ten lbs pulls like a mother.

Skipper on the boat got a good look at the one my grandson hooked and passed off to me after about 20 mins, I fought it for another 10 mins. or so, got it right to the surface and deck hand missed gaff. it took off and line broke a few mins later. Skipper put it over 40 lbs. I don't know, but it was BIG. For some reason the deck hand set my grandson up with boat rod and reel, a real POS.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu