First weekend deer (not seeing many)

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
Had a good trip out with Steve007. Saw all the right signs: some springs seeping even at this dry time of year, plenty of acorns, temps cooling down. But the deer were scarce, only showed themselves on the drive in and out (all does). Looking forward to a great D16 but my pre-season confidence is now a little lower after weekend 1.

Any other archery outings from the group? Hoping for the pre-season abundance of deer this year shows up in the success of filling all our tags.

I was there on saturday I listen some sparring at 6:35 100 yds from me that all my morning afternoon 1 doe at 120 yds. A lot hikers, people with dogs, some guys taking pictures to birds into the mountains , I think was not legal but I see a drone over my treestand, and tons of hunters.
Thats pressure make bucks move to the thick brush so midweek is a better option, just 1 hunter in my area kill a small fork last 20 min on saturday.
Sunday a friend back to that place for afternoon hunt and same think a lot of people,
I back thursday so maybe I can make a better report.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I spoke with a friend on saturday , he have a big 4x4 walking on his treestand all summer every day , and he stop looking that boy 4 days before opening.
Many people scouting , checking trailcams cleaning treestands.
May be soon they will back to a regular life.

Yeppers, after noon might be more calmed. I don't stick cameras up on public land. To many stolen.
So I just look for sign. Try to mix it up. That's what I will be doing. Heading out tommorow morning.
Best
Longbow

It was tough hunting this weekend with all the dove hunters out. I threw in the towel after it started sounding like a gun range.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Had a good trip out with Steve007. Saw all the right signs: some springs seeping even at this dry time of year, plenty of acorns, temps cooling down. But the deer were scarce, only showed themselves on the drive in and out (all does). Looking forward to a great D16 but my pre-season confidence is now a little lower after weekend 1.

Any other archery outings from the group? Hoping for the pre-season abundance of deer this year shows up in the success of filling all our tags.

Dan,
Very typical of deer this time of year. Typically I find the does are pretty easy to find in the early archery season. They’re usually down low in the oaks drinking plenty of water with bucks nowhere in sight except for maybe a few small spikes and forks. The big boys and other bucks are often up high or in thick country with few outings to get water. They manage to get water of vegetation and if they go down to water it’s usually middle of the night. Get up high and glass your eyeballs out. You’ll find em.

I found everything that "the deer guy" said to be true. Sunday I glassed up 11 does and a doe with 2 fawns. Monday I found 3 does and one fawn. I couldn't believe there wasn't more fawns. I also got to watch one fox and 4 coytoes as well. A few of the does I was watching re-bedded, fed every hour or two. I'm very happy with 15s on a tripod. Stay behind the glass and glass with a purpose, ie grid. Use other hunters to your advantage, I watched a few dove hunters push a doe out of her bed. She wasn't more than 300-400 yards from the road.
Good luck everyone.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu