Fixed**1st picture of my dog pointing

S

stikbrandon

picked up my pup about a month ago. i was told she was a lab pointer. i started noticeing that she would freeze when she would walk up on cats and rabbits around my house. i want to get her in front of some birds to see what she does but havent got around to it yet . i was at the pet store and was watching her freeze then creep then freeze , so got my phone out and snapped this pic.

do u guys think she has pointer in her or do all dogs do this type of behavor

Attachments

• 2013-01-13_10.52.44.jpg
    2013-01-13_10.52.44.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 92
Re: 1st picture of my dog pointing

Can't see the picture but my lab does point quail not a lot but more then 5 times he's full on locked up on a single on our walk out. I've killed every one

I grew up with an English setter that wasn't trained and he would point every once in a while. I have a husky now that has never and probably will never think of pointing at anything. She just chases birds around. So like Snake Charmer said not all dogs point.

she clearly is a mix. i wiuld like to know what she is ... should i get a blood test on her,i jave her they arnt too accurate on exseact breeds?

I have a friend who got a mixed dog from an adoption place and we all thought it was a lab/pitbull at first but he grew up really tall and his face got long and he started pointing chukar on walks. His friends got him a DNA test for Xmas this year (one of the good ones for around $150) and it turns out he's 1/4 German shorthair. I never would have guessed just by looking so I would say the test would be worth it just to see what you're working with.

Save the $ and just go with it. If the dog points it points. If that's a trate you want to foster work with it.

I've been working with her quite a bit. She's doing good . I took her up to my quail spot to see wwhat she would do when she came Across some birds ...... Long story short wwe didn't see / hear and quail. The bruch was thick but she had no hesitation,it was like a switch went off in her head , she was on the move nose down and just exsited to be out there wwith me. Gonna try again this weekend

Aeon said:
Save the $ and just go with it. If the dog points it points. If that's a trate you want to foster work with it.

Agreed. I bred my lab with a German Shorthair thinking the pups would be the best of both worlds; pointing labs. But out of 9 pups only a couple would point. Most are family dogs but a couple are hunters and they have never pointed. If you want it to point, train it. If you don't care, then just get her out and start her on the birds!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu