Float Tubing ?

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
My son is really into fishing and his b day is coming. We are looking at a float tube like the Outcast-Fish-Cat-4.

I see you are suppose to have a PFD when fishing local waters and salt water. Any recommendations???

Also i am thinking about waders that the local area require also. Any that you would also recommend? I dont know anything about this sports and want to get him the right stuff. I am also looking a fins like Mares Avanti Superchannel.

Do waders have holes in them so if you fall in they don't just fill up with water???

I used to float tube a bit. I used two types of fins. The kind you wore with shoes (wading boots) and the kind similar to a divers fins. I preferred the latter which I wore with regular neoprene waders. I thought about the waders filling up all the time....

Attachments

• 20141010_201349.jpg
    20141010_201349.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 56
I have almost always used stocking foot neoprene waders. The thinking is they are very tight to the body. And with a belt, it would be tough for water to come in from the top......I've always used the flippers like on the right with no boots....I've never used a life vest....2 cents

Old school......New school pix

Attachments

• vail lake 1995[1].jpg
    vail lake 1995[1].jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 223
  • hodges 3-14-12 007.JPG
    hodges 3-14-12 007.JPG
    583.4 KB · Views: 64
Fish cat is a great tube.

Breathable waders are the way to go. They all come with a waist belt to block water from filling up your waders completely if you fall in.

Booties with force fins are optimal but wading boots wih the stock outcast fins work fine.

Never worn a pfd in the tube and never had any problems. Suggestion would be to keep it as small as possible, the manual/auto inflating would be best.

I realize it's been over a month since you asked but some of this may still help.

I primarily fish from a tube when I actually find time to get out.

I fish from a Cumberland now which is like a Ferrari compared to the old donut style I broke in with (like the one in Steve's 1st pic). I also started out with neoprene stocking foot waders but have since switched to breathable waders. I like the breathable waders because I have the option to wear sweats or longjohns under them in the winter if I want or just shorts in the summer. I suppose you could do the same with the neoprene but you usually wear those a little tighter so it may be uncomfortable. Mine were around a hundred bucks from www.froggtoggs.com. Here's a video dispelling the wader myth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

As far a a PDF, the law says you have to have one, not wear it. So, I always have one tethered to my tube but never wear it.

Also, here's a SoCal site for float tubing where you can get a ton of information and answers: http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/forum If you register, you can then get a code that can be used for a discount on a tube through one of their sponsors (Coverbonanza.com). My tube is listed for $299 on the manufacturer's website but I got it for $170 (delivered) through the sponsor mentioned. "Hotspot" and "Force Fins" are the top of the line fins but I've been using a pair of Dacor fins for 20 years with no problems.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu