fml

wackums back

Nov 6, 2013
So there I was.........seriously though I jacked up the best oppertunity all season to fill my ao tag. Walked in to a local spot on my way home today to try my hand at some blind rattlin. Set up threw out my first set of light rattle and grunts. Started glassing the draws after 5 minutes hit the bleat can waited 5 more hit the can again threw a few grunts and started glassing again.about ten minutes later I was getting setup for some full combat tree beating rattlin when I heard some commotion on the brush above me. When I looked up all I saw was horns. I hit the deck grabbed the can and my bow nocked an arrow attached my release and gave a bleat. The buck jumped down to the trail I was on at 18 yards I drew, anchored , released the same as the 100000 arrows before . My arrow flew true and struck its mark. I new I had just killed a lungpopper grade 4x4 with my bow. When I went to check for blood there was nothing so I started to search for my arrow. I found it 15 yards away and as I stated FML. The pos over the top mechanical had not deployed. My only guess was I hit his shoulder and the thing hit like a bludgeon tip. I left there PD off to say the least. I'll never use over the top mechanicals ever again. Guess who just went and bought some more rage hypodermics. FML FML. I didn't need to sleep tonight any ways

Wow!! LOL. That sucks bro. That is some good stuff though. You called that boy in and that is an accomplishment in itself !! Hope you get another wack at him!

That sucks Tyler...sounds like it was an amazing experience up until the empty hand played out.

Those Rage Hypo's are gnarly. Get back on that horse and ride bro!

Bummer.
Not a fan of those type of broad heads. You need a broad head to zip threw, not expend all its energy on impact. IMO they take to much of energy out of the arrow when they deploy.

I found a spitfire stuck in a dead deer in Utah this year. It was not deployed and the shooter never found it.

On the other hand............. Look what a Rage Hypodermic did to my coyote when shot from above. Wicked !

I hope your not eating.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 21
Funny thing guys is I swear by rage. I had these broad heads from a few years ago and have killed with them. All my rage o rings are dry and I keep forgetting to get replacements and those rages are noisy in my quiver when deployed so I just threw on my reapers and went. I even had 1 wakum fixed blade I carry for bobcats and coyotes. Guess my broad head selection skills are lavking. Oh well now I have another reason to keep hunting. And no Buckhunter that picture MAKES me hungry.

Sorry man! That really sucks.

For that very reason I switched from mechanicals a few years back. I know they work great WHEN they work. I like that fixed blades always work.

The reapers have worked before and were absolutely devastating. But not this time. I figured it would have penetrated a little but it sure didn't. I don't totally blame the broad head as I hit a little forward and caught shoulder. So note if you shoot over the tops make sure you hit meat so it can deploy.

Sorry to hear that your broadhead failed I hope you get another whack at em.

Sorry to hear about your mechanical not deploying. That has to be majorly frustrating. :(

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu