foaming bore cleaner

wiley

Feb 11, 2014
Anyone use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. .?

if not what do you use....?

Yes it works good but the "Wipe Out" foam bore cleaner is better. If you get it, make sure you get the accelerant with it. Awesome stuff.

I like Gunslick a lot. Planning to try Wipeout based on NBK's recommendation, but Gunslick really cuts down on the number of patches you have to use, and it removes copper without the intense ammonia smell of copper removers. I haven't used copper remover a single time since I started using Gunslick. Of course use a bore guide to seal off the chamber, or place the nozzle right into the chamber to seal it off before pushing the button. I let it flow till foam exits the muzzle. Let it work for 15-20 minutes, then run a jag through; repeat till all the blue is gone. Then Hoppe's solvent with brush and jag till the jag comes through clean. Be careful about getting Gunslick on your skin: doesn't smell string but it can have a delayed effect.

With just Hoppe's No. 9, brush, patches and jag, there is still visible copper fouling in the barrel even when the patches come out clean. Gunslick does a much better job with less effort. If WipeOut is better than Gunslick, that will be even better.

I've switched to frog lube and never look back. It works great and it makes cleaning way easier. Work when it's hot or cold Like can shoot a few hundred rounds if cheap crappy 223 or barnes copper with no build up and the copper comes right out with no scrubbing just one brush and 2 wads.

Snake Charmer said:
I've used both Gunslick and Wipeout, Wipeout seems to be a bit more aggressive hence that what I use
I just ordered Wipeout with the accelerator from Sinclair International, following NBK's recommendation. Any tricks, or is it obvious how to use them together?

Just an update on Wipeout with accelerator. I've been using it for a few months now and it makes cleaning SO MUCH LESS labor intensive. You need to use a bore guide to seal off the chamber and action, as always. Then run a patch dipped in accelerator, fill the barrel with Wipeout foam, and let it sit for 20-60 minutes. Then just run your jag through with a patch. If the patches don't come out clean after two or three passes, then repeat accelerator and foam. It is A LOT easier than doing it all with patches, and a lot easier on your nose if you ever had to use that less foul-smelling ammonia-based stuff for copper residue.

I'm currently using the Safariland Break Free Bore CLeaner Foam. It works well. I only use bore cleaners on my rifles. My shotguns do just fine with Hoppe's #9.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu