French Valley wildlife. Can you hunt coyote there?

Jackpot

Jan 27, 2020
Murrieta
I live pretty close to the French Valley Wildlife area and have a good amount of coyote coming in my neighborhood.I think they out coming out of the French Valley Wildlife. Couldn’t find anything stating you could hunt coyote. I know it would be shotgun only but was just wondering if anybody knew if that was allowed, thanks ahead of time.

Yes it is, and if shotgun is legal, then archery probably is too.

Buckshot does a coyote good.

Thanks, Nuevo. I’m less Then half a mile from there and have seen them out there. Lots of scat too.So if it was allowed it seems like a quick option to try. Plus less yotes on my block, if I can get them that is. I tried calling the phone numbers listed but one is disconnected and the others is temporarily closed do to COVID-19 it said.

Last edited:
check the dfw web site should tell you on there what you can hunt there I know upland game is good to go but coyotes don't know

I looked but it just says hunting is allowed and that it’s shotgun only. Below is all that the website gives you. Unless I’m missing something.

Recreational Opportunities​

wildlife viewing hunting with shotgun quail hunting

Activities: wildlife viewing, birdwatching, hiking, and hunting

Hunting: Dove, quail, and rabbits may be present.

Type C: French Valley Wildlife Area does not require the purchase of a hunting pass for entry. Entry permits and/or passes or special drawing may be required for hunting on some Type C wildlife areas.

Shotguns, hunting only on west side of Buck Road. Closed to hunting February 1 - August 31.

Facilities: None

More Info:

NOTE: Visitors are responsible for knowing and complying with all regulations pertaining to the use of Department lands.
Please refer to the Public Uses on State and Federal Lands section of the link opens in new windowWaterfowl, Upland Game, and Public Use Regulations (PDF) booklet for both statewide and property-specific regulations. A searchable Property-specific regulations table is also available online.

Reactions: Zachappa
There are lots of yotes around there but don't think you can hunt them there. That said check with some of the grape farmers around there see if you can hunt their lands. As most of the land there is private

Thanks guys. I left a message just waiting for a call back. I’ll let you know if I get a call back.

Thanks guys. I left a message just waiting for a call back. I’ll let you know if I get a call back.

I definitely try to hit up some of the wineries. I know the ones up north will let you hunt pigs/Hogs on their property because of the damage they do to the vines. Then again it's almost a different world up there. People are somewhat nicer and a little bit more receptive of hunters.

Reactions: sportyg
I would think you could hunt coyote there as long as you are using the appropriate method of take (shotgun). Since coyote are considered non-game (no regulated season, possession limit, etc...). On a side note, does anyone know if this spot is worth the trip for quail?

I went out there for quail a few weeks ago and didn‘t see any. I,know there are some in the area but they hang out in the spots that are off limits. Maybe after the rain it could be better but I don’t think that it is worth going out of your way to go there. There just isn’t much water out there. Did see rabbits and coyote while I was there though. Got stopped and checked by the warden also. Didn't think to ask about coyote at the time though.

You won't find much there in the way of quail there, they did put in a small water tank when they developed the place. The place gets way over hunted for it's size.

No real update yet. I never did get a call back For the message I left them. Been almost a week. Guess I’ll try again. They don’t seem to be very responsive.

Guys have been hunting coyote out there for years. If you observe the rules as stated, you should be fine. Shotgun only. Not open at night. The area is closed to hunting in the spring as well.

Well I went there this morning and now I’m even more confused. I have attached the paper that was posted at the entrance. Basically it says “upland hunting only” during hunting season. The website already says that the whole thing is closed from February 1st-August 1st For hunting. So now add only upland during hunting season? Doesnt dove start in September and quail goes until February? Not sure if I’m missing something here but that doesn’t leave any time for much else. So am I correct to assume it’s just upland only and your not allowed to hunt coyote?

Attachments

• 1FEFB811-C3FF-41D9-A4B7-943E24F29375.jpeg
    1FEFB811-C3FF-41D9-A4B7-943E24F29375.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 45
Well I went there this morning and now I’m even more confused. I have attached the paper that was posted at the entrance. Basically it says “upland hunting only” during hunting season. The website already says that the whole thing is closed from February 1st-August 1st For hunting. So now add only upland during hunting season? Doesnt dove start in September and quail goes until February? Not sure if I’m missing something here but that doesn’t leave any time for much else. So am I correct to assume it’s just upland only and your not allowed to hunt coyote?
Yeah, that's what I said in my earlier post. The area is closed in the spring (so I guess Feb thru August). Like I said, I've seen guys hunting coyotes out there. I've even shot ducks there after a wet fall. I'm not going to tell you what to do.

I definitely try to hit up some of the wineries. I know the ones up north will let you hunt pigs/Hogs on their property because of the damage they do to the vines. Then again it's almost a different world up there. People are somewhat nicer and a little bit more receptive of hunters.
yea I had a winery up north that wanted me to take care of hogs. they told me the admission fee was $500. I told them I hope the hogs tears up every single grape vine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu