fresh sashimi and ahi sushi rolls

Looking good! I tried making sushi once and it ended up a mess, so hats off to you on this product. My rice wasn't quite right, I overfilled it like a cali burrito, and then it all came undone at the seams. I've left it to the pros ever since.

For those of you wanting to try it and for those of you looking to improve, here are a couple of tips

use less rice than you think you need
have an extremely sharp knife and a wet rag to wipe it between slices
wrap your sushi roller in saran wrap
keep your station clean
have a bowl of water at your station to dampen your fingers so the rice makes it onto the nori and not stuck to your fingers

One thing Ive really found that friends and family enjoy is more of a carpaccio style than a sashimi style cut
I like to use halibut, wahoo, sea bass, or yellowtail for this but tuna would be fine as well

Put a heavy plate in the freezer along with the fish for about 10-15 minutes (i do it while I'm prepping my ingredients for the rolls)
Take out the fish and slice it very thin and arrange it on the cold plate
drizzle some good quality olive oil or the sesame chile oil
put a drop of siracha on each piece
slice a serano or jalapeño very thin and place on the siracha
sprinkle with a nice flaked sea salt or similar finishing salt, I use the alilea lava salt from hawaii a lot
devour

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu