Friend shot his hand (Gruesome)

Re: Friend shot his hand

Really sorry to read that. The exit wound is gnarly but the surgeon did a good initial job with the wound and it does not look like there was too much blast trauma; most of the tissue looks pretty healthy. A good hand surgeon will get him back to pretty full use of the hand, I'll bet. He still has his thumb, ring and small fingers, so he'll have a strong grasp... and they can shift the index finger over to the stump of his long finger which makes a very functional hand. My guess is that in a year you'll have a hard time seeing the hand is abnormal unless you really look at it. Here's hoping...
Hats off to his surgeon.

Invisible man said:
When I click on the link I get the pic but no story.

He was using a cartridge laser bore sighting tool and he could not see the laser. So the story goes he put his hand in front of the muzzle to pick up the laser projection. From there it is a mystery how or why he fired the gun (apparently he put a live cartridge in the chamber instead of the laser bore sighting tool). Thank God he is still alive etc.

Sdbirds said:
Invisible man said:
Thanks John. I think I will keep my comments to my self on this one. ???

Ya well put

Well, what's done is done. It is a good reminder for everyone to share this kind of information on the Forum. Thanks Brian for posting it and John for the background story. I hope his hand heals quickly. Next time I see a four-fingered hunter, I won't ask.... :-X

I think I've seen him post on other forums... he runs SoCal Guided Hunts, right? I thought I saw somewhere that he mentioned being filmed for a reality show, or maybe I'm thinking of another guide.

So sorry for the accident, but glad to see he's healing well. Looks like he has a good attitude! The best thing you can do is disseminate the information I think.

Suburban Adventuress said:
I think I've seen him post on other forums... he runs SoCal Guided Hunts, right? I thought I saw somewhere that he mentioned being filmed for a reality show, or maybe I'm thinking of another guide.

So sorry for the accident, but glad to see he's healing well. Looks like he has a good attitude! The best thing you can do is disseminate the information I think.
Yes, The guy your referring to is the original poster. The guy with the messed up hand is his friend.

A little up date. Matt the guy that shot his hand is doing good and thanks for all the wishes. I have told him what you guys have posted and he is really thank full. I think we are going to video him talking about gun safety cause it can happen to anyone. We all just need to slow down a little lol

SoCalGuidedHunts said:
A little up date. Matt the guy that shot his hand is doing good and thanks for all the wishes. I have told him what you guys have posted and he is really thank full. I think we are going to video him talking about gun safety cause it can happen to anyone. We all just need to slow down a little lol

That's the way to do it: positive approach and help others avoid the circumstances that led to the injury. No judging... When I was a kid I worked in a welding and spring shop where professional long-haul truckers shared their experiences; the result of those discussions was that not everyone had to suffer the same troubles in order to learn from experience. Professional pilots and other disciplines do the same thing, and I encourage it at work now that I'm the senior guy setting the agenda. We call them "conferences", but it's just the same old "shop talk" to me. ;)
"There, but for the Grace of God, go I."

Bonejour said:
SoCalGuidedHunts said:

That's the way to do it: positive approach and help others avoid the circumstances that led to the injury. No judging... When I was a kid I worked in a welding and spring shop where professional long-haul truckers shared their experiences; the result of those discussions was that not everyone had to suffer the same troubles in order to learn from experience. Professional pilots and other disciplines do the same thing, and I encourage it at work now that I'm the senior guy setting the agenda. We call them "conferences", but it's just the same old "shop talk" to me. ;)
"There, but for the Grace of God, go I."

I am in 100% disagreement with this. It just seems wrong to have someone who literally shot themselves in the hand days ago talk about safety. I agree there is a lesson to be learned here, but it is a reminder of the first rule of firearm safety "always treat a gun as if it were loaded". Now I'm not saying that there is not anything that can be extrapolated from the events that led up to this guy shooting himself in the hand, or that his first hand experience could not provide a different perspective on this situation. What I'm am saying is, this lesson would be better taught by say someone who hasn't shot themselves recently and maybe this incident can be used as an example of what can happen if one was careless with a firearm. Just my 2 cents and best wishes to your buddy during his recovery.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu