Frog Lube

Matagi

Mar 1, 2011
Hunted this weekend with a guy who was a newbie to duck hunting so got together with him and got out for a hunt. Right at legal shoot time we had a couple widgeons land down and since my friend has never hunted from a layout, I let him get the first shot with his Winchester X3. Soon as he busted out the layout doors, he aimed and...click. He racked another round and... click again. He was like WTH! I improvised with my car keys and a small stick and disassembled the gun and found that the firing pin was sticking really bad. I asked him what he used to lubricate his gun because it was REALLY greasy as if someone lubed the bolt with bearing grease. He said he cleaned his entire gun, including the bolt with Frog Lube. I attempted to clean the bolt with bottle water and lake water but nothing would get that firing pin to smooth out. Long story short, beware of using frog lube on internal parts. Frog Lube is a surface protectant and the pasty film caused the firing pin spring to develop rust which coated the pin shaft, causing the pin to stick enough to absorb the punch from the hammer. Once we got back to the trucks, we cleaned the bolt with good old remlube and now it works great. He even shot two ducks using my Mossberg 935 (I never clean it) ;D

Great points, thanks Matagi. The way I learned is: Couple drops of light oil only on trigger assembly and action where you see burnishing, but never any around parts on a semi- or auto that are exposed to hot gas because it will gum up.

Sent via Tapatalk

thank you for the information & tips.
my ex brother in law was a two term vietnam vet who was also my deer hunting partner & mentor.
he advised me not to use lube on the hunting equipment while hunting, or in battle in his case. dirt & grit would could get on the mechanism.
and would gum it up or jam it. or use very very light oil.
clean it & lube after use. to prevent corrosion.

Gland I can help.I talked to a Frog Lube rep and it makes sense now. Their lube is bio based and is water based product (probably why you can eat it). I used it on my AR bolt once and although it makes it harder for the carbon to stick to the metal surface, it leaves a greasy past and made the bolt stick to the carrier. I now use Mpro 7 which works phenomenal. I recently used Mpro 7 in a three day auto gun class and I was amazed at how long the lubricity lasted. I think the range staff was pretty amazed because my gun was one of the few that ran the entire course without a single malfunction. I like to use the Frog Lube to coat the surfaces of the gun frames but I stopped using it as a lubricant. At the end everyone has their own lubricant that they like to use but I'm not so sure about the Frog Lube hype anymore.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu