Full Metal Jacket

619hunter

Jan 21, 2013
Hi all. Thanks for the great website. I took the hunter safety class yesterday. We were informed that full metal jacket cartridges are prohibited. I did some research and can see why they would be, but was not able to find this on the DFG site. Can anybody show me where this is posted? Thanks again.

619hunter

METHOD OF TAKE DEFINITIONS FOR BIG GAME
Legal Methods of Take for Big Game:
Rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles, bow and arrow, or muzzleloading rifles may be used to take big game. A projectile is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force. T14-353(a).
• Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only. T14-353(b).
• Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs. T14-353(c).
• Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep. T14-353(d).
• Crossbows may be used to take deer and wild pigs only during the regular seasons. T14-353(e).
• Within the Condor Range, only projectiles certified by the Commission as non-lead may be used or possessed while taking big game. T14-353(h).
Bow and Arrow Defined: A bow is any device consisting of a flexible material having a string connecting its two ends and used to propel an arrow held in a firing position by hand only. Bow includes long bow, recurve or compound bow. A legal arrow is a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter. Mechanical/retractable broad heads shall be measured in the open position. No arrow with an explosive head or with any substance which would tranquilize or poison any animal may be used. T14-354.
Crossbow Defined and Restrictions: Any device consisting of a bow or cured latex band or other flexible material (commonly referred to as a linear bow) affixed to a stock, or any bow that utilizes any device attached directly or indirectly to the bow for the purpose of keeping a crossbow bolt, an arrow or the string in a firing position. A crossbow is not archery equipment and cannot be used during the archery deer season. Crossbow bolts with a broad head type blade which will not pass through a hole seven-eighths inch in diameter shall be used. No bolt with an explosive head or with any substance which would tranquilize or poison any animal may be used. T14-354.
Muzzleloading Rifle Defined: Rifle in which the charge and projectile are loaded from the muzzle. This includes wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including “in-line” muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. T14-353(a).

Thanks. I have seen “Rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles”, several times. I just never knew what it meant. Thanks for clarifying. I still have several months before I will need them, but can you guys recommend a good hunting ammo for .308. Thanks again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu