FUTURE OF CALIFORNIA FISHERIES IN 2050

aeverett152

Oct 4, 2020
Murrieta
I have been waiting to share this with the SCH community, but since they have finally published something here it is... Recently I was interviewed for a study conducted by UC Davis in conjunction with CADFG. CADFG is trying to come up with a long term fishing plan. They interviewed Aqua culturists, Commercial Divers, Commercial Fishers, Charter Boat Captains, Recreational Fishers, etc. I was the recreational fisherman they used for their report. The goal was that CADFG wants input from those of us that have experience on the water, or shoreline and the impacts we have seen in our state. It felt really nice to participate in this study, and although I have my usual skepticism with CADFG, it made me a little hopeful that the department is willing to take the opinions/input from us.

I will attach the link from their publication that they will be presenting to CADFG

They are hosting a workshop on June 7th, but I have work obligations so if anyone is in the Davis area and would like to go here is the link:

Attachments

• Community Synthesis Report.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
My list of concerns would have differed from yours, but thank you for your willingness to participate.

What would you have added to it? I am sure we have like minded concerns as well. I will say they kept trying to tie things to climate change, and I kept saying well we need to adapt to improve what we are doing versus just saying oh we have climate change and thats that. But I have heard that within the department they dont get certain funding unless certain things like "climate change" are tied into it. I also mentioned to them we need to improve the habitat of our fisheres (atificial reefs, etc) but they left that out.

What would you have added to it? I am sure we have like minded concerns as well. I will say they kept trying to tie things to climate change, and I kept saying well we need to adapt to improve what we are doing versus just saying oh we have climate change and thats that. But I have heard that within the department they dont get certain funding unless certain things like "climate change" are tied into it. I also mentioned to them we need to improve the habitat of our fisheres (atificial reefs, etc) but they left that out.
Sounds like they had an agenda and were directing your responses plus omitting others. Ideas like the artificial reefs you mentioned would be on my list. I would add stop doing destructive things like blowing up the litttle spillway dams on Trabuco Creek, which were what made the creek fishable for stocked trout when I was a kid.

I'm sure all the concrete creeks and development over wetlands and marshes are great for fish and aquatic life along the coasts in general.
I don't see that getting fixed any time soon as you'd have to displace rich people and businesses to fix it properly.

Reactions: WaterDawg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu