Game camera today blah

SoCalB3AST

Sep 2, 2014
lancaster, ca
Well I took my game camera out last sunday and put it what I thought was gonna be a good spot next to my old tree stand, and I left it there for over a week, there is deer trails all over infont of my stand, but after a week I only found 11 picures of nothing walking in front of it. Curious if i should leave it their longer or move to different area?. Also on the walk in i jumped 2 does pretty big ones. They were beding down in the clearing behind my stand, but another thing was the gate was closed at bottom of the mountain so it was a 3 mile hike to my spot and 3 miles down it sucked lol

Snake Charmer said:
It takes awhile for the scent to come off the camera. I usually leave mine for three to four weeks before checking them.

good point snake charmer, maybe wipe down before deploying. maybe a lightly moist clean washed rag. soaked in baking soda or or spray scent blocker over it, don't know but what you say makes sense.

also if I may add SoCalB3ast.

was there a lot of sign, tracks, and scat on the trail? usually I get something in a week or two. but patience is a virtue.
also did you test the camera, what type is it? I walk in front of my trail cameras at different distances, just to make sure it's working properly.

once I had a problem with the memory card. it was bad. make sure to format it in the camera. took me a while to figure that out.
also the guys here have been doing it a long time. one suggestion said I believe by Aeon, Lungpopper, NBK Taft and others. is to set the camera not across the trail but some what facing towards the trail. I believe. I dd it both ways across and in the direction
of the trail. and it works better facing the trail. well to my humble opinion. some cameras can not react fast enough I guess. also
I camo my cameras with foliage Present in the area. makes it blend in better, and helps with scent. just me I like doing that. but it's not necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
I would have left it longer but due to that fire we just had I was worried about it, and the gate was closed so I couldnt drive up to spot anyways lol long hike up the hill.

But the camera is a primos work horse I got for 9 bucks at Walmart on clearennce.

And there is trails all over infont of it fresh hooves marks all over and skat and bedding area, it was in good spot I even tested it before I left it but no luck.

I'll be hunting where I found the 9 bucks the other day for regular season, but I was trying a old area in d11 for my either sex archery tag. Talked to a buddy of mine and he told me about a spot with water and alot of tracks gonna go check that out and maybe deploy again.

SoCalB3AST said:
I would have left it longer but due to that fire we just had I was worried about it, and the gate was closed so I couldnt drive up to spot anyways lol long hike up the hill.

But the camera is a primos work horse I got for 9 bucks at Walmart on clearennce.

And there is trails all over infont of it fresh hooves marks all over and skat and bedding area, it was in good spot I even tested it before I left it but no luck.

I'll be hunting where I found the 9 bucks the other day for regular season, but I was trying a old area in d11 for my either sex archery tag. Talked to a buddy of mine and he told me about a spot with water and alot of tracks gonna go check that out and maybe deploy again.

keep at buddy, you doing all right. i did a little research and the lower end cameras have a lower sensitivity, what that means is does not pick up animals at longer distance. my partner and i where using lower in moultries and they worked fine up to a distance. and of course he had a browning. so place the camera a little closer. it worked for us. except we purchased ours from ebay at a discount. bought two for the price of one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Trail-Cameras-Feeders/Trail-Cameras-Accessories%7C/pc/104791680/c/104767380/sc/103867380/Moultrie-A-8-8MP-Trail-Camera/1912621.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftrail-cameras-accessories%2Fmoultrie%2F_%2FN-1100176%2B1000004070%2FNe-1000004070%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103867380%3FWT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7CHun_Game%2BCameras_Moultrie-Gen%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700005661655824%26gclid%3DCj0KEQjwu-CuBRCQ2byQtMep7e0BEiQABQKlkXnPNdSTaTp-v-q9DwPZaOnaErR04T8-c4GkMv9Z89saAszz8P8HAQ%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu