Game Cameras Locked or Unlocked?

boogie

Jan 28, 2011
I was up scouting in the recreation area and was very surprised to come across a few trail cameras unsecured. Does anyone else do this? Seems a little careless to me.

I had a camera up in the Lagunas and it was not secured. My thought was I really doubted that anyone was going to walk right by my camera. It was tucked away on a little trail in an area that I don't think many people go in. I left it for a little more than a month and it was still there when I went to get it. No people pics either. I was thinking of putting it some where else that is more used but I got scared it would disappear so I didn't put it up. I don't know how to lock it to the tree and I think the little lock just keeping it closed is pointless.

I sure lock mine up.
Most of mine are south of I-8 so I have to be careful of the illegals.

Gteam never locks up their cams. we usually put them where nobody will go.
We have came across cameras while we were hiking up to our spots but we just leave them alone

Thanks for the input guys, I just recently bought a couple cameras with security boxes but they didn't fit. I was contemplating putting them up anyway but after reading your coments I better just wait and figure out a way to secure.

GOOD LUCK IN THE FIELD!

Boogie,

Depending on the camera's you can make your own security boxes. I have used ammo cans, around 14 dollars at a surplus store and I have had friends make them out of electrical panel boxes.

I've found a lot. Never took one. I just show my ass and walk by a few times. Or a lot depends how bored I am. Speaking of this has anyone got pictures of my butt. I've been doing it for over a couple of years.

Haha but I'm not joking

Sdbirds said:
I've found a lot. Never took one. I just show my butt and walk by a few times. Or a lot depends how bored I am. Speaking of this has anyone got pictures of my butt. I've been doing it for over a couple of years.

Haha but I'm not joking

LOL I got a butt picture from my brother before.

I have a few people pictures but none that they knew the camera was there. It's best to really hide it with sticks around it. If you just strap it to a tree trunk next to a trail with the big black strap that comes with it you can kiss it goodbye.

Sdbirds said:
I've found a lot. Never took one. I just show my butt and walk by a few times. Or a lot depends how bored I am. Speaking of this has anyone got pictures of my butt. I've been doing it for over a couple of years.

Haha but I'm not joking
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! ur the one who did it to mine!

People stealing cameras and stands is one of the reasons I havent bought them yet. I dont feeling like spending my hard earned money only to have some degenerate scumbag steal my stuff. I have seen alot of stands and cameras up in Laguna and some are locked up very well and others are just ready for someone to steal.

You will have to carry an 8' ladder and a hacksaw for the lock or a chainsaw to cut the tree down to steal my cams. I lost one a few years ago and from then on I have gone pretty extreme not to lose another. Plus I try to only hunt where no one else will go unless they get lost.

Sdbirds said:

Haha but I'm not joking
Remind never to put a trail cam where you hike past lol

I just purchased one a short time ago. Haven't had time to make a lock box for it at yet. I only put it out when and in the area I'm hunting or camping at for the days I'll be there until I get around to making a box.

If you shop around you can usually pick a lock box up for under $20 saves a lot of time.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu