Getting started with points

Zak

Mar 30, 2019
Well as a busy grad student I figure I may as well take advantage of time and get into the points game in several states with my sights set on awesome hunts when life gets better. I'm considering the $149/yr for Gohunt.com if it's a worthy investment.

The amount of info out there is overwhelming, anything to know before starting this endeavor?

I've been in the points game for almost 30 years... 7 to 9 states a year. It's a convoluted mess. Things are constantly changing... regulations, point systems, point creep, animal populations... I used to subscribe to Hunting Fool but now get my info off the internet. My short term goal is to get rid of my points in a few states and get out of it. Smart for you to get a head start. Ed F

I apply in 7 states every year and this year I am applying in 8. Go hunt is a great tool and it has helped me to draw tags no question.

• Wow
Reactions: Zak
As with anything there are pros and cons of the points game. My recommendation to you is to not sit on points for years and years and years. Go hunting. If you have a few years while you’re in grad school that you know you can’t hunt, it obviously makes sense to accumulate points while you’re doing that. If you apply to a few states that you can draw a tag with one or two points (Colorado and Utah for example) you can alternate hunting them every year. If you want to choose one or two states to wait for a really premium tag that’s great too, but you should have realistic expectations. For example, starting to build points now, you are NEVER going to catch up with the maximum points pool in any state. So don’t expect to one day draw an AZ strip tag with points. Gohunt is a great tool to figure out what and when you can draw but keep in mind that point creep is always changing draw odds in any desirable unit.

States with no point system (Idaho and New Mexico) are valuable because you have the exact same odds as anyone else that is applying. But you can’t really count on drawing a tag like you can in a state with preference points like California or Colorado. Just keep in mind, every state has a different system and it can be very confusing. Services like Epic Outdoors and GoHunt can be nice to have for reminders, information gathering and advice.

Reactions: Zak
Definitely start collection points now. Check out all the states with species you're interested in. Some states make you buy a hunting license just to apply, so the cost adds up fast. I gave up on Eastmans and Huntin Fool a while ago because the info was mostly the same every year. I haven't checked out GoHunt or Epic Outdoors yet, but I probably will at some point before I cash in my points.

Definitely start collection points now. Check out all the states with species you're interested in. Some states make you buy a hunting license just to apply, so the cost adds up fast. I gave up on Eastmans and Huntin Fool a while ago because the info was mostly the same every year. I haven't checked out GoHunt or Epic Outdoors yet, but I probably will at some point before I cash in my points.
Price is steep but I don't think I'll regret the investment.. but yeah I think starting off checking out some states is a good idea. AK tops the list but it looks like they don't have a points system. So much research to do!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu