GoHunt vs Huntin Fool or other site?

WildBilly2

Apr 9, 2019
Looking for some input on each. Or the benefits/downsides if you have used them. Looking for suggestions.

They’re both valuable tools. I think gohunt is the better choice for your average hunter who just wants a tag in hand every year. They have very good research tools and have invested a lot in the system you’ll use to look for your next opportunity. They provide lots of numbers and and make it really easy to narrow down your options.

Epic Outdoors focuses on trophy hunting and won’t give you information on every opportunity. They choose what zones/hunts they will cover and generally don’t cover OTC areas or antlerless or other low success hunts or hunts that don’t have good trophy value. They do produce an excellent magazine and I really value the input they give on the hunts they do cover. You can also call them any time to discuss application strategy or general information on hunts you’re thinking about.

Epic Outdoors does help out with OTC tags as well as tags that do not take a bunch of points. With your membership comes a concierge service of one on one help with finding a place to hunt that fits your needs. You just call them and they help you as well as hook you up with folks who have hunted areas you may be looking at. They don't put you on the X but they do pat you on the ass and send you in a good direction.

There still is service over the phone, which is far more personal.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Epic Outdoors does help out with OTC tags as well as tags that do not take a bunch of points. With your membership comes a concierge service of one on one help with finding a place to hunt that fits your needs. You just call them and they help you as well as hook you up with folks who have hunted areas you may be looking at. They don't put you on the X but they do pat you on the ass and send you in a good direction.

Yes that’s true they will help out. I didn’t mean that they won’t try and help you, merely that it isn’t their focus. I called them this past year to discuss my Colorado application with only 2 points and they gave some recommendations. However they generally don’t cover these types of zones in their magazine or podcast and their research tools aren’t nearly as helpful as gohunt’s for finding these type of opportunities. Both great services!

Reactions: NBK

John get a gohunt account you will not regret it. Best $100 I spend each year. It is so easy to use and you will be able to find some gems for sure. I like the way Kellen does it using both. The main reason I am considering an epic account is I am starting to get into the 5+ points range in so many states. Issue I am having now is I keep going on these OTC hunts ID last year, AK next season and not using my points. Gohunt also has a great gear shop and a mapping service free to members.

Reactions: Kellendv
I would say go HUNT they give you more freedom, more options and you can look over every unit in a state. Plus the new mobile mapping is off the hook! Plus you can call and have one on one conversations with them. I have called in to see if there advice would line up with my thoughts and get a second opinion.

Reactions: TRICER
Hunting, unit research, different states, bonus points, and draw odds are incredibly complicated. Definitely a good idea to have some guidance, it takes years to get it sorted out otherwise

I only have used Hunting fools application cost are very reasonable and have offered me hunt advice for free
Once i draw
And they always remind me on up coming deadlines ans if im wanting to apply for preference points as well.

Reactions: sportyg
I had hunting fool for a year.
They were working on this 3D map that looked promising but it never worked for CA. They also have a tool where you can select the species you wanted to hunt and the state, and it would show you what areas of any given state you might want to consider based on past success. They have an online magazine that was pretty cool to read.
Also, you could talk to an advisor to give you guidance on where you wanted to hunt. I was able to speak to a local guy who moved to Utah and works for huntinfool. He tried and was somewhat helpful.
I didnt find the membership to be valuable for hunting in CA. Even looking into other states the map never worked so I dropped it.

Reactions: 180ls1
I had hunting fool for a year.
They were working on this 3D map that looked promising but it never worked for CA. They also have a tool where you can select the species you wanted to hunt and the state, and it would show you what areas of any given state you might want to consider based on past success. They have an online magazine that was pretty cool to read.
Also, you could talk to an advisor to give you guidance on where you wanted to hunt. I was able to speak to a local guy who moved to Utah and works for huntinfool. He tried and was somewhat helpful.
I didnt find the membership to be valuable for hunting in CA. Even looking into other states the map never worked so I dropped it.
Would you happen to know if they have good deer OTC data for AZ? I am looking to change units.

Would you happen to know if they have good deer OTC data for AZ? I am looking to change units.
Man, I don't know. I would imagine if you talk to one of the Advisors you would get that info. You could email them. They are very responsive.

Reactions: 180ls1

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu